Chapter 8

Imitation is the Sincerest Form of...

Harry's heated palm slid along a pale cheek as he turned questioning molten silver eyes to face him. He leaned closer to the milky complexion and whispered lowly, "How 'bout a smoke break?" A grin broke out over his flaxen-haired companion's features, one that seemed to tug insistently at the corner of the blonde's lips. There was suppressed laughter in the lilting voice as it announced, "And would it surprise you to learn that neither one of us smoke?"

Harry growled softly, knowing the sound would send shivers up the other's spine, "And who says I intend to smoke on this smoke break?"

The jack-o-lantern grin returned and there was a whispered, "My mistake," before the blonde turned to the party on his left, relayed their intention, and stood expectantly.

Harry followed him out, the large, operatic woman reaching her crescendo just as they escaped to the silence of the hall, "I think I have a headache."

A pert smile was flashed quickly in his direction, "You have no appreciation for art. She has a beautiful voice."

Harry gave Draco a seductive once over, "Perhaps I don't, but I know what I like." He was ecstatic to see that his words had brought a fierce blush to Draco's cheeks. "We'll have to go outside if we intend to smoke," Harry stated with amusement, holding out his arm for Draco's.

Draco took it without a second's hesitation and he waited until they were outside the front doors to ask, "What has gotten into you today? Something good must have happened."

Harry slipped his arms around Draco's waist and pulled him close enough that Draco's palms were resting on his chest and Draco's breath was puffing against his cheek, "Lots of good happened today. Ron and Hermione are engaged."

"Oh, that's fantastic," Draco said excitedly, with what Harry knew was genuine enthusiasm. He wasn't sure why Draco's words meant so much to him, by all accounts he shouldn't even be telling Draco about his friends' lives, much less going out with them. "Hermione should have told me," Draco smiled, receiving a spectator's enjoyment, and Harry appreciated how much effort the blonde exerted. He and Ron had never particularly warmed to each other and yet here Draco was, happy for him, just because he was Harry's best friend.

"And I'm a shoe-in for the active duty Auror position, my performance review was spotless, Kingsley himself said so," Harry said smugly, puffing out his chest unintentionally.

Draco's jaw dropped and Harry felt lithe arms snaking gracefully around his neck as Draco breathed, "Congratulations, Harry! I can't imagine anyone who deserves it more. I'm so proud of you."

Harry's teeth gritted at that, he didn't need Draco's approval. He knew he'd done well, he didn't need the man he fucked to tell him that. But then, why did he tell Draco in the first place? What had he wanted Draco to say? Harry shook his thoughts from him, but he was fairly certain that there hadn't been a right answer, "Ginny's also been discredited, by her own Mother! Molly flat out told reporters she was lying! I don't have to worry about that bitch holding anything over my head anymore!"

Harry noticed Draco's wince and slight withdrawal at the mention of the red head, and considering what that night had led to, it wasn't all that surprising. Harry tightened his arms around Draco as the blonde forced out through an enamel prison, "That's great, Harry. It sounds like the perfect day."

Harry nodded against Draco's temple in an attempt to make him forget, he couldn't have the blonde thinking about that tonight, not when Harry was so intent on getting in his pants. He had been hard since the second act, and sitting so close to his usual release had not been helping matters much, "I only know of one thing that could possibly make this night truly perfect."