Birth of the Forest 16.

The Yondaime Raikage stared at his newly reconstructed village with an awe he did not show on his face. He truly had not expected for the old Village to be duplicated so perfectly after its destruction...his Village had been ravaged by fire and forest, by overwhelming force.

But now it was as if nothing had happened to Kumogakure, as if the attack by the Akatsuki was but a bad memory. He turned to Uzumaki Naruto who looked at him enquiringly.

"My construction is to your satisfaction, I believe, Raikage?" he asked politely, as if he did things like this on a daily basis. The Raikage was startled out of his wonderings, and replied hastily.

"Yes, yes it is excellent. It appears Kumogakure owes you a great debt, Uzumaki Naruto. For stopping the Akatsuki onslaught and for reconstructing our home, we owe you much" admitted the Raikage, who truly did not like being in the debt of a clearly more powerful village such as Konoha.

Naruto sensed the man's feelings, and graciously let him off the hook. "No debts, Raikage. All I request of you is that you accede to Konoha's request to form a response force. The need for which you have already seen to be necessary. And I do not need to explain politics to a sly old fox like you, now do I?"

The Raikage gave a barking kind of laugh and Naruto grinned as the Raikage slapped him on the back in a comradely fashion.

"Certainly not, young man" at this Naruto felt Kurama's amusement. "And I have important news. Takigakure has allied with Akatsuki completely and that makes alliance with Konoha all the more important. Tell Tsunade that we will have to meet soon with Mizukage to form a triumvirate alliance"

Naruto inclined his head in acquiescence. As they walked on, they came across Sasuke who was sparring with Yugito. Naruto sighed as Sasuke redoubled his efforts, trying to win a Kenjutsu match against an experienced Jounin.

Just tell the brat who you are, Hashirama. At least it will stop the runt from trying to think he can match you in even another hundred years, said Kurama in a bored voice. Naruto had considered the idea. But he could not let that secret go around too much, the fewer the people who knew the better.

He winced as Yugito skilfully disarmed Sasuke. The blast of anger from Sasuke washed over him, and he could see the Uchiha about to reveal the Mangekyo Sharingan. With barely a whisper he appeared between the contestants, turning to Yugito.

"Hello, Yugito-san!" he said cheerfully. Sasuke seemed to slump at his appearance and sheathed his sword tiredly. Yugito looked at him with a nonplussed expression.

"Yes?"

"I need to borrow Sasuke for a minute. Sorry to interrupt your practice!" he said, beckoning for Sasuke to join him. He waved to Yugito and the Raikage and walked on with Sasuke. The Uchiha sullenly stared ahead as they walked, and Naruto immersed himself in Sasuke's emotions.

"What bothers you now, Sasuke?" he asked calmly. He could guess, but he preferred to hear it directly from Sasuke. Sasuke's face cycled through a variety of emotions, finally settling on one of open desperation.

"I need to get stronger!" he whispered desperately. Naruto could actually feel the burning desperation in Sasuke...the unnatural craving for power. Sasuke, it seemed, was unable to let go of that one desire. Something that he had carried over from before.

Looking at Sasuke's pained expression, and feeling his torrential desire for more strength...Naruto chose to believe that Sasuke would not abuse his strength. Compassion rose in him like a tidal wave for the young boy who had been irreparably changed by his younger days' happenings.