Birth of the Forest 20.

I am sorry. I have something to take care of...things are not what they seem to be. Know that I love you, and I have taken upon myself this duty to shield you from hurt. I might be gone for a while. Please forgive me for this seemingly cruel departure.

Naruto stared listlessly at the piece of paper that bore his wife's handwriting. He could hardly believe that Mito had simply departed without a word to him...three years he had wandered the nations to be strong enough to heal her. Three years he had trained like never before, reaching intensities in effort that Jiraiya often christened as suicidal. "What did she tell you, Tsunade?", he asked softly, looking up at his Granddaughter who was looking despondently outside the window.

"She told me to take care of you. That she had something to do that only she could do", replied the golden-haired Hokage in a voice that shook ever so slightly. "She left Konoha just two days after you did; You know how hard she is to track...Uchiha are in short supply, and the other sensors could not do much. She hid herself with Fuuinjutsu. You know she will be out of Konoha by this time."

Naruto stopped himself from crushing the paper. He knew Mito as well as he had known himself. "She always was fiercely independent, ridiculously so, but far from foolish. I believe she is not after the Akatsuki at all, Tsunade", he said with a humourless chuckle. "She is much like Tobirama was in that regard; shrewd and canny while attacking enemies. She would have undoubtedly sought my help if she had gone after Pain. Whatever it is she must be reasonably confident of accomplishing it", he said with a troubled look, getting up and donning his white cloak that supposedly made him look like a clone of the Yondaime.

"Naruto?", said Tsunade suddenly as he walked towards the door. He paused, turning to look at her inquisitively. Reconciling the images of the little girl he had bounced on his knees as Hashirama, and the full bodied cynical woman who he saw as Naruto was at best confusing to him. But there was no help for it. Tsunade was who she was, and he would gain very little in confounding himself too much.

"Yes, Tsunade?"

"You have been invited to the barbeque restaurant on Main Street by the Rookies of your batch, to celebrate your return and the successful rescue of our ANBU. I would recommend that you go", she told him gently. "Since your...awakening, you have had very little rest. Will you-"

"Perhaps it is for the best", agreed Naruto resignedly. Already the euphoria of defeating Orochimaru was fading away, being replaced by anxiety for his wife. He knew better than anyone else that Mito could take care of herself despite that freak lapse three years ago. He was going to respect her wishes and let her accomplish this task which obviously meant so much to her. But he was not entirely foolish.

"Mokuton: Mokubunshin no jutsu", he said weaving a hand-sign. Eight wood clones were born out of him, streaking outside the Hokage's office in eight different directions. "They have a chance of finding and tracking her, I cannot sit doing nothing. I want to be ready if she needs help", admitted Naruto sadly. Tsunade nodded to him looking like she expected nothing else. Before she opened her mouth to reply, Naruto had disappeared with a leaf Shunshin.

He appeared with a swirl of leaves near the BBQ restaurant Choji adored so much, feeling the ebb and swirl of a mostly content humanity around him. Citizens he did not even know bowed happily to him, glancing appreciatively at his long white cloak and the double trident symbol of the Senju clan upon its back. Nodding politely to each villager and Shinobi, he made his way across the sea of citizens. As he pushed the door open, his eyes fell upon the large table that dominated almost the entire hall. Seated around it was the so-called 'Rookie 9' of his batch, along with a few other familiars.

He smiled fully, unable to contain the sense of joy rising within him as the entire posse rose as one, cheering wildly as they caught sight of him. Shikamaru and Sasuke were applauding quietly, and Sakura's excitement was all too evident as he immersed himself in the joyful atmosphere permeating the restaurant. Uzuki Yuugao did not escape his notice as she sat demurely beside Sasuke, looking at him with a sublime gratitude.