Birth of the Forest 18.

Kurama, it is time for me to fulfil my promise.

So you aren't balking like I expected you to. When will you do it? I would release me right upon Orochimaru, you know. I could wreck up that mud hole of his for you, you know, a parting gift of sorts.

I appreciate the offer. Truly I do. But I prefer not to let the world know that you are free. If they come after you desiring power, I will not be able to stop them if you are not present. Raikage has the amber sealing pot, and Shinobi exist who are adept at sealing.

True indeed. Will you release me here right in sight of Konoha? It might be fun...

For you, perhaps. No. I will release you the moment we are at a safe distance from Konoha. I swear it upon my forefathers and my grandchildren unborn that you will never face me as an opponent again, not of my own choosing. What? What?

I think...you are actually serious aren't you? About releasing me and the promise not to seek me out for power?

No jokes, Kyuubi. I never break my word. I am a previous Hokage, after all. I hope you remain hidden when you are free, Kurama. If Pain comes at you with his Outer Path all your infinite Chakra cannot save you.

A long hour of silence ensued as Naruto rushed through the trees, Kakashi and Sasuke following him easily. And then:

I know. He wields that power too well...It is what created me, and it can cause me no end of trouble. That's why....

No. Don't tell me...

Shut up. That is why I will help you in your endeavour. Peace is conducive to me as well, Naruto. I can fade into obscurity that way when men no longer want me for my power. I will have you as my Jinchuuriki for now. But I will hold you to your promise when the time truly comes.

Fine. I wouldn't want you to be captured anyway. And I will honour my promise to you when you demand it. I will one day make sure human malice will never touch the Bijuu again.

Normally I would laugh heartily at such a declaration, said the Kyuubi quietly. But if anyone has a chance at such a thing it would be you. You remind me of Grandfather, a lot, what with all your ridiculous idealism and convictions.

Grandfather? You mean the Rikodou Sennin?

But the Kyuubi had gone silent, causing Naruto to go silent as well. Kurama's sudden faith in him was moving...he could faintly understand the uncounted centuries of suffering the Tailed Beasts must have gone through. It filled him with great shame that he had also once been party to conquering them for their power.

"The balance of power, huh?" he murmured softly to himself, shaking his head disgustedly. Using such originally pure beings as pawns in a futile games for power...he must have been insane in his other life.

I can see your soul, Kyuubi, since it resides within mine. You are not a mass of hatred as I once foolishly thought you to be. You were made that way by us, by humans...I still feel ashamed about it. I would let you free right this instant but for your own decision.

The warm acknowledgement from the strongest of the Bijuu put a smile on his face, and he raced forward with a renewed vigour. When he had asked Mito to seal the Kyuubi within herself, she had done so with little hesitation and without asking him why. Mito could not be faulted, his beautiful wife was always there to support him in every way possible.

Just as I was not there for her in this life. I keep failing continuously it seems, he thought to himself sadly.

It was his fault that day, his fault that so much suffering had been spread around to maintain "the balance of power". His fault that he had foolishly, naively thought that distributing the Bijuu like weapons to the other nations would hold the balance. He shook his head sadly, the very act of distribution was wrong.