𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲!

a/n you guys, i have so much gossip for you it isn't even funny. BUT CAN YOU BELIEVE I'M WRITING????? i'm sorry about the late update – i had high school finals, university stuff, and graduation lol. anyways i hope you guys are doing okay, i've missed interacting with you. i hope you all made it out alive thru these past couple weeks lmao. ok ok ok here's the chap hehe

if iris's parents picked up on the tension between the four young adults, they didn't let on

if iris's parents picked up on the tension between the four young adults, they didn't let on. iris had her mother's dirty blonde hair, though her mother's hair was a little darker. she had her father's face, but for some reason iris thought that elodie had gotten all of the pretty genetics.

"how's school, iris?"

she cut into the lasagna, avoiding her parents' eyes. "it's good. straight a's. my job pays well."

"the restaurant one?" laurie inquired. "isn't that minimum wage?" iris didn't miss the way clay was glancing between all of them. for a second, she felt bad for dragging him into this. but she noticed the slight downturn of his brows when he looked back at her mother. "i really hope you quit soon."

"i was considering it," she said. rowan looked up from his plate of food. at her mother's look of confusion, iris lifted her chin and added, "there's just nothing keeping me there anymore. the guys are creepy, the coworkers are dicks."

"where else would you work?" elodie snickered. "starbucks? you've always wanted to work in a coffee shop."

"what's wrong with working at starbucks?" iris retorted.

laurie lowered her fork. "girls," she warned. "we have guests. act like it."

rowan leaned back. "c'mon, laurie. i'm hardly a guest, we're like family now." iris's cheeks flushed. he'd met her parents of course, but she hadn't realized he'd been coming around their house that much, if at all. he glanced over at her, noticed her flushed cheeks, and smiled.

iris's dad, matt, cleared his throat. "so, clay... how did you two meet?"

they glanced at each other, small smiles on both of their faces. "iris texted the wrong number," he responded. he'd politely cleared half of his plate already, not as talkative as iris nor as nervous. "i responded, gave her all the right answers, and we just got talking once she noticed i wasn't her friend."

"you gave me all the wrong answers."

he shrugged. "wrong page of the textbook."

"are you in school?" matt inquired.

clay shook his head. "no. college wasn't for me."

"i see you and iris are a perfect match," rowan butted in. iris shot a glare his way, but her eyes caught on her sister next to him, since elodie turned to look at something in the kitchen.

"did you dye your hair?" iris asked.

elodie's neck snapped to look at her. laurie and matt stopped eating, forks paused. it was like the world stopped breathing. but elodie narrowed her eyes. "so what if i did?" she picked at her nails. "i know i had prettier hair than you before but there's no need to rub it in."