Diagnosis

I feel my mind is shaking out of place
I look like a truck ran over my face
The doctor says I'm not a hopeless case
I really want to join the human race

The Doors, I'm Horny, I'm Stoned

"I'm his sister," Becca said, standing and wobbling a bit. Ella jumped up to support her. "Also his lawyer. Our parents aren't here yet."

"You'll do, then," the doctor said crisply. "I'm a neurosurgeon. First of all, your brother was badly injured in an accident as evidenced by the hours he was in surgery. He was wearing a seat belt, which undoubtedly saved his life but produced severe contusions. Most of the damage was superficial, meaning that he will look terrible for some time. He has stitches and is bruising heavily. It was thought that he had a head injury, which is why I was brought in. I determined that his injuries at the time were a fairly severe concussion and a wound that required stitches. He has soft tissue injuries in his neck and back that will heal in time, whiplash, but we also need to monitor him for ruptured or herniated spinal discs and get more x-rays later to ensure that here's no damage to the vertebrae; the swelling has interfered with the images. There was some internal bleeding, but that was controlled and he'll be monitored for infection. There was glass in his eye, but it was removed without lasting damage.

"The most severe issue was his arm. His left humerus was shattered, the lower third of the bone. Apparently he hit a structure at a high rate of speed on the left side of his vehicle, on the door. It took time for the rescue team to extract him. There was no chance of saving the arm, and the surgical team did try. They were able to leave a reasonable stump, however, and I assisted with the nerves. Functioning nerves there will make it easier for him to wear and use a prosthesis. He is being moved to the ICU, more as a precaution because there was a great deal of shock from the accident as well as the trauma. If all goes well, he'll be moved out of the ICU in a few days. Nurse, why is this room so cold?" he barked. The nurse, an older woman, gave him a level look.

"I don't know, Doctor, since I was in surgery with you. I will find someone to adjust the temperature." The doctor tucked his rather slight chin closer to his throat.

"Yes. Thank you. Do you have any questions, Miss... Barnes?" His eyes checked out Becca's left ring finger.

"When can I see him?"

"Not for some time; he's in recovery right now and then it will be awhile before he's completely set up in the ICU. If you wait here, someone will come for you when you can see him. That will be visual only, he'll probably still not be conscious." Becca swayed and Steve stood to steady her. "The number of visitors, when he does regain consciousness, will be limited." Becca nodded. At the lack of other questions, he turned and left. Steve was speaking quietly to Becca, so Ella seized the opportunity and slipped out. The nurse was going the other way down the hall, so Ella scuttled quickly.

"Doctor?" The surgeon turned back impatiently. "I'm a friend of the family." Three fourths of it, anyway. She bit her lip, and Strange made a 'get on with it' gesture. "I've heard that he might have been using drugs." He narrowed his eyes at her and closed the gap, looking around but the corridor was deserted.

"Where did you hear that?"

"Musicians talk, Doctor. There have been non-fatal overdoses by people I know."

"We did some presumptive tests before administering medications and the anesthesia. There was nothing in his system." Ella blew out a breath in relief. "What drugs, do you know?"

"Heroin," she whispered, and he rolled his eyes.

"All right, I'll consult with the others and we'll work out pain management to avoid opioids if possible." He looked at her. "Thank you for the information."