Prep work

With a pinch of rock and a dose of roll
I can warm you up if you get too cold
I can bring you up when you're going down
I can smash your head all over this town

You gave me the answer
Now I got the answer, oh yeah

'Cause we're the queens of noise
Come and get it boys
Queens of noise
Not just one of your toys
Queens of noise

The Runaways, Queens of Noise

This posed some problems, the Colorado trip. Two weeks before they were set to go out and start recording and shooting, Nick got a call from the manager of the place, who was reluctant to have a hard rock act on the premises, apparently under the impression that Ella and her band were like Led Zeppelin or something. They had refunded all fees and deposits. After Nick quit swearing, he called his people in for a meeting with Ella.

"We don't really have time to pursue injunctions for specific performance of the contracts," Monica said. "We could, but the timeline is tight and if we lose, we don't have much time to pursue options. I would advise finding other locations. There are certainly other places to stay, and I notified the director of the videos about the issues. He had a fit about his precious vision and dropped out, but Kate and Maria are talking to others to replace him. Tony's busy preparing for a movie or he would have stepped in, Ella. The director for the concert doesn't really care, he's into the project itself and he'll adapt to a different location."

"Ok, well, this kind of sucks, but let's look at this as an opportunity," Ella said doggedly.

"Right," Kate said. "So in Denver, there's this campus that houses a branch of one of the universities, a four year college, and a community college. They have a cool building for performances on this campus. There are three possibilities, all of them intimate, hundreds of fans rather than thousands. A concert hall with fantastic acoustics and a balcony, a courtyard theater than can be configured three different ways and has opera boxes and has good sound, and a recital hall, the smallest of the venues for just 200 people, also with great acoustics. There are also dressing rooms available in this complex, the King Center."

"I like the sound of the theater," Ella said. "Being able to configure the performance space is a big deal. Plus I like the idea of the opera boxes. They'd look good on camera. And small is good, considering that things are getting a little last-minute."

"I agree," Nick said. "Bishop, you and Wong generate some ideas for the stage for Ella to choose from. Any input for the videos, now that everything is up in the air, Rogers? We have four to shoot."

"I've been through Denver a few times," she said thoughtfully. "I'd still like to shoot a video outdoors if possible. They also have some great historic architecture. I'd kind of like to use that, maybe make it sort of a "Live in Denver" concept for the album and visuals." Nick nodded.

"Great idea," Maria enthused. "I went out to a travel agent as soon as I found out this morning, get an idea of what's out there, hit a bookstore for a travel guide. I'd recommend Mesa Trail, still near Boulder. We'd get those great-looking Flatirons in there, and there's six miles of trail for other scenic shots. The western theme is still popular as a visual in your genre, Ella, we can do something with that. There's the Union Station district, I guess they're calling it LoDo now, which is still pretty awful in parts but is being gentrified. Lots of history there, we could look it up. There are a number of historic mansions around, I like the Zang Mansion or the Grant-Humphries Mansion. Do you have any other ideas?"

"There's this bookstore there, the Tattered Cover," Ella said slowly. "It's in Cherry Creek, three floors, green and brass, packed with books. It's amazing. There's also Civic Center Park, it's got gardens, it's by the state capitol building, it's got a Greek-style amphitheater. I like the idea of having two outdoor, two in or around buildings."