Live in Denver

Everyone's watching to see what you will do
Everyone's looking at you, oh
Everyone's wondering will you come out tonight
Everyone's trying to get it right, get it right

Everybody's working for the weekend
Everybody wants a new romance
Everybody's going off the deep end
Everybody needs a second chance, oh

Loverboy, Working for the Weekend

The time flew by then, and Ella and Bucky packed for Denver. The musicians and crew had been booked into a Boulder hotel for the Mesa Trail shoot. Ella had her wardrobe with her, so on the first day of the shoot, she dressed in her room, and Bucky, yawning and in sweats, went with her to the site. She had to sit for hair and makeup, but he brought her coffee. Their timing was great; the sun came over the horizon to illuminate first the Flatirons, then the trail. The meadow was stiff with frost that began melting almost the instant the sun hit it, but they were already filming. They had a few more hours to themselves before hikers started showing up, and they were done for the day. The next morning had an even earlier start, and they had to hustle from one area to the next to get the shots and performances that Mulachy wanted. The sky was mostly overcast and rather drizzly, atmospheric and suited to the wistful power ballad, but the second day had a glorious moment where the sun broke through and warmed everything up. The fragile autumn-colored silk scarves Ella wore came alive in the sunshine and the light winds that accompanied the unsettled weather snapped them out beautifully.

After that shoot, the musicians were driven into Denver and given new hotel rooms. Bucky took over their things and returned for the start of Mallet's shoot. They had set up the interior for the "House of Mirrors" set in a Cherry Creek mansion and spent the afternoon in there. Ella's hair was piled in an elaborate updo anchored by a large, decorative comb, and using the color theme from the first video, her brocade corset and ruffled satin skirt were in shades of autumnal red and orange. She had long black satin gloves that covered only the backs of her hands, leaving her fingers free to play. Her musicians were in Western-ish suits from the Victorian era, but in jewel tones to complement and set off Ella's outfit. Sam looked particularly handsome in peacock blue. Al the bassist was in bottle green, and Kevin the drummer was in topaz; his lighter shade helped him stand out from the background of the dark wood paneling. The men had ostentatious stickpins in their cravats and Ella had a pretty set of costume 'ruby' earrings, bracelets, and necklace. Pretty rich for the roles of whorehouse musicians, but nobody said that this was a documentary. The extras were in plain black and white, making them seem almost insubstantial in comparison to the musicians; they were shot with a filter that heightened that impression. The extras had been shot while the musicians were up on the trail, the women entertaining the male clients, then the fight scene was shot to capture the musicians ducking for cover, and that shoot finished around eight after the band had performed several times.

The next morning, Ella's wardrobe was shiny black spandex pants, high-heeled boots, a broad shaped leather and metal belt drawing attention to the curve of her hips, the promised fringed leather jacket, and a tight red tank that showed off a slice of skin between the hem and the waistband of the pants. The weather was still overcast, which would contrast nicely with the scene's they'd already shot and tie into the first video. They had to use a wind machine on a light setting to send newspapers and an honest to god tumbleweed (in the city??) down the sidewalk as the musicians walked to the actual House of Mirrors. In one take, the wind machine was up too high and blew Ella's jacket off one shoulder. They didn't have permission to go into the warehouse, so the shot ended as Ella reached for the doorknob. The camera captured details of the building and Ella's boot on the old tiled entrance just below the name. They didn't need many takes of the group just strolling along the kind of grotty street, sometimes interacting with each other. Then they were done and had the afternoon off to explore the city. Well, that's what Ella and Bucky did; the others went back to the hotel for naps, or, in Sam's case, a phone call to his fiancé.