PART IV

"Gooood morning!"

Fralith groaned, throwing his good arm over his face. Who was bellowing at this time in the morning? If it was Ailith pretending to be a BoomBird again, he was going to capture one of them and hide it under her pillow. Then she could experience the true annoyance of being woken too early while having her ears blown off.

"Rise and shine, Brave Bud! I know it seems ridiculously early in the morning, but actually, it's nearly lunchtime. We let you sleep in. Thought you needed it."

"Go away," he grumbled. It was too early. He shifted and a stab of pain lanced up his shoulder. Ouch! Ailith, what are you— boots thundered across the bridge. "HOW COULD YOU?" He scrambled backwards, heart flapping wildly. The mob came closer, torches held high. "HOW COULD YOU, FRALITH?"

Fralith's eyes flew open, blood pounding. Not Ailith. She wasn't here; he'd left her behind along with everyone else. An ache swelled under his ribs, dark, throbbing and consuming. He swallowed and took deep breaths to calm his heart.

"Brave Bud?"

A little yelp escaped him as he threw off his arm and pushed himself up on his elbows. Another stab lanced up his shoulder and he winced. The curtains were open, allowing bright sunlight to pour across his bed and cast some funky shadows over FlameHair's face. He blinked at the man and shrank back, lips twitching in a repressed, silent snarl.

"Woah, no need to startle," FlameHair said, raising his hands. "I'm perfectly harmless— to you, at least, you brave little bud."

He huffed and lowered himself back onto the bed, careful to shift his arm as little as possible. It throbbed to the time of his breathing, each beat a resonating ache. Tucking his injured arm close to him, he glanced back up at FlameHair. Why was he here again? Not that he minded very much — it could be someone worse. Like a RedShirt. Or Davith. He shuddered and shoved the line of thought away. Now was not the time to think about it. He had to stay alert.

"...he's in the hospital. Escaped with some nasty bullet wound, but he'll make a recovery. The girl's unharmed, thanks to you."

Fralith shook himself inwardly. FlameHair had been talking. There wasn't much point listening in — it was all gibberish to him — but it felt wrong to not listen; like he was missing out on something important.

"...caused quite the kerfuffle, coming out of nowhere like that. Everyone's throwing out theories about your origins and family. Things are getting quite wild. Say, where's your parents, for example. Do you have family?" FlameHair looked at him expectantly.

He frowned a little. What did he need to do this time? There had been an lift at the end of his words, like a question, and he had paused, looking at him. Maybe...FlameHair wanted him to answer? I can't, he signed by flicking his fingers in SilentTalk. I don't understand.

As if he could understand his flicking, FlameHair nodded and patted his arm. Fralith flinched, pressing himself away from the hand. A flicker of darkness flashed in FlameHair's eyes as he quickly withdrew his hand and continued his one-sided conversation. "They'll show up soon enough, don't worry. And if not, you have me. I'm here to keep you cozy and safe, you curious cookie."

Fralith turned away a little, dots of ink clouding his chest. He didn't want to be touched. He wanted to be left alone. He wanted...he wanted... his stomach twinged. Food. He wanted food. FlameHair brought food last time. Maybe he'd brought more — there had to be a reason why he came here. It couldn't just be to talk at him.

Shutting out FlameHair's chatter, he turned his head and peered around FlameHair. A cart sat behind him, filled with various things. It wasn't the best angle, but the things on the top looked like food. His stomach twinged again, adding a small growl to it. Longing gaze fixed on the food, he sighed. It was so close yet Hinchillas away. A flash of movement drew his gaze back to FlameHair.