PART XLII

Fralith vaulted off the MetalEater and dashed behind the pile of debris, squishing himself into the shadows as quickly and quietly as possible.

"What was that?"

Beep! One of them saw him!

"What was what?"

"Something moved over there."

"Probably a bloomin' rat. Get over here and help me with the girl."

"But what if it wasn't a rat?"

"Then it's a cat! Or a racoon! Who could have possibly followed us all the way here?"

"Fine. But that was one big racoon."

The MetalEater flap slammed and a muffled yelp followed by a grunt and something dragging over the rough ground pierced the night. Carefully, he peered around his hiding place, straining to spot Ray-chel. Had they hurt her? One figure dragged another while the last figure presumably hauled the door open with a screech somewhere off to his left.

"Be quiet, will you!"

"Then oil this door like you're supposed to!"

"That isn't what Boss is paying me for!"

"Shut up you idiots." A new voice, this one deep and gravely. "Were you followed?"

"No."

"Good. Now put her..." The rest of the new person's sentence faded into unintelligible mutters as it got farther and farther away.

When all was silent, Fralith stood slowly from his hiding place, pulling the knife from his teeth and glancing around. The building's walls stretched out on either side of him, lit faintly by the moonlight. Somewhere not terribly far off but not close either, lights glittered.

Flat land surrounded the building, creating a stretch of no possible cover of about a hinchilla long— something not ideal for stealth. He grimaced and slunk around the debris to the door. A black void stood behind the door, only faint echoes of scuffing feet and conversation audible.

Was there a guard behind the door? If he went inside, he'd be vulnerable for a few moments as his eyes adjusted. It— was something he had to risk. Steadying his breaths, he nudged the door open a little farther and slid inside, immediately placing his back to the wall and knife in the ready position.

Nothing moved around him. No shout of alarm went up. Good. He blinked hard and edged to the side until his eyes adjusted. A vast room stretched out before him, cut into parts by pillars, and tall, tall shelves. Moonlight filtered through grimy windows somewhere near the ceiling, just barely outlining most object's corners.

Boxes, debris, and a whole lot of dust lay strewn about around the floor, on the shelves, and even hanging from somewhere above, creating a space full of sneaking hazards. Where should he even start looking for Ray-chel? This place was huge!

Thud! Clatter! A rush of angry, hushed words. Minding his footing, he darted towards the sounds, winding around boxes, ducking through shelves, and sticking to the deepest shadows whenever possible. He didn't move with the stealthy grace of a SnowPounce like Drao did, but he was at least quieter than the scuffle and clatter the men made.

As he got closer to where the sounds had come from, he slowed down, taking extra care where he placed his feet. Rounding a shelf and a few boxes, he dropped to a crouch and froze.

Two men stood not four paces away, their backs turned to him. One man bent over a chair, fiddling with something, while the other man watched. Seated on the chair was Ray-chel, shoulders hunched and hair covering her face. Her heavy breaths pressed at the silence coating the darkness, filled with panic and fear.