PART LIV

Fraltith padded through the soft moss of the UnderForest, following a line of huge ferns that curled inwards as if attempting to protect the dew on their tips. The sound of burbling water filled the silence, humming a melody to the gentle breeze's tune. Shadows cast by fluorescent light danced across his path, sometimes joined by brighter light that had traveled all the way down from Uppermost Canopy.

Occasionally the faint rustle of foliage or swoosh of a winged one's passing would accent the forest's song, and he would glance towards it. He tipped his head towards the soft sounds, letting them drift inside him and untangle the knots, sticky shadows, and everything else that had gathered in him from the day's events.

He was glad Davith had insisted he go to their secret spot while he explained why he'd abandoned his post and finished up his duties. After the clatter, constant "Fralith, is that you?", and Davith's "we will explain later", of the city above, the peaceful whispers and solitude down here were welcome.

Here he could think and sort through everything that had happened. And...he could see if the WillowWallowers nesting nearby dropped any feathers he could collect.

The burbling of the stream grew louder, more spread out as it widened under a large, arching root and into a deep pool bathed in a rare patch of sunlight. Honey-gold, pale green, light emerald brown ferns, and small grasses huddled eagerly around the pool, thriving off of the rich, clear water. A cluster of small boulders crouched over the water, casting a shadow where fish liked to hide.

Moss pressed in between his toes as he scrambled up the rock outcropping and settled himself on its edge, swinging his legs in time to the forest's song. Tilting his head up, he squinted at the break in the great VineNet hanging in between the enormous WonderTree trunks and the faint outline of a bridge set way up high near the canopy.

Compared to the WonderTrees around him and the VineNet, he was a tiny, miniscule ant; a small note in a five-hour symphony. Somehow, it comforted him. He wasn't important—wasn't going to be one day in charge of keeping the city set in the treetops free and thriving—and he could just enjoy the world the Eternal had created.

No one looked up to him as their role model. No one copied his example. No one hung off his every word. He was just him, Fralith, special only to those who loved him. Fralith, special to Davith.

A fish darted close to the surface, a white and yellow flash as it slurped up a bug resting on the water and retreated to the smooth, WaterSlime-covered rocks on the bottom of the pool. WaterGrass and PurpleRipple waved their green and purple tendrils at the fish as it passed them, cheerfully existing as they were.

He and Davith used to dive to the bottom of the pond and sift through the rocks for FireBacks. Whoever found the most two-clawed-six-legged-hard-shelled critters got to spice them—the easy job—while the other started the fire—the hard job. Bursting out of the water with handfuls of wiggling FireBacks, shouting his number, then looking over at his grinning at his brother, hair pasted to his face, was one of his fondest memories.

Was. Used to be. Words meaning the past and never again. But it was wrong— he could have more of these happy memories, not like before. Davith didn't hate him; he was back to being his Davith Before self, just a little protective and...shadowed.

They could go FireBack hunting and sit around a little fire, cracking shells with their teeth, sucking out soft, juicy meat, and throwing banter around in between. They could do that. It was possible.

If he stayed.

Inky tendrils reached up from his belly, threatening to steal the light in him. He shoved them down with a thought-stick, baring his teeth. If he stayed. He— couldn't stay. He'd told Ray-chel—and by extension, the whole family—that he would come back. Quickly. And he'd meant it, at the time. He'd wanted to come back quickly.