Chapter 11

"Come on, darling," Tendou said in a sing-song voice

"Come on, darling," Tendou said in a sing-song voice. From anyone else, the combination of "darling" and that sing-song rhythm would seem condescending, but from him it was all oddly charming.

    "It's not going to be a lot of people, right?" you asked, your voice quiet as you smoothed out your blouse again.

    Tendou had asked you– repeatedly– to attend a volleyball team party with him now that their season was nearing their biggest tournament that would determine whether they had a place in nationals or not. "It's all for team-bonding purposes," he had said with a laugh. "Well, that's what we tell Coach to keep his yells at a loud grumble."

    Now, you were dressed in a much nicer outfit than you were used to sporting and standing outside of a little recreation area in Sendai that they had rented out. You knew you were way too down bad for the boy with ruby hair in front of you, but this was such hard proof of that. You hardly even went to parties, let alone a party that would be full of high school volleyball boys.

    "You've seen the people on the court," he soothed, rubbing a hand over your shoulder as he slouched down to look at you better. "Those are the people that will be in there. Plus a few extras. No big deal."

    You sighed before you nodded. "Alright, okay."

    He smiled back his usual smirk before he sang out, "Perfect. I get to introduce the beautiful (y/n) (l/n) to my team."

    You had met a few members of the team before in passing, so that helped you feel a bit better whenever you were led to the door by the guiding hand at your waist. It couldn't be that bad with Tendou there. He always made sure you were alright no matter what– even if you insisted he didn't.

    As soon as you were through the doors, Tendou began to softly hum to the music that was playing. The room itself was nothing special, just a pool table, a couple couches in the corner, and a lot of plastic tables and chairs.

    The reactions as the two of you entered were interesting to say the least. Most of the team was quiet, but had wide eyes as they saw you accompanying the boy at your side. One in particular looked a little disgusted at first, but his expression twisted into something closer to confusion as you walked closer and Tendou's hand shifted from your waist to hold your hand that was dangling at your side.

    You tried your best to avoid eye contact with him as it became almost piercing. Making a mental note to ask Tendou about the boy with light hair and somehow darker tips later, you looked down at his hand wrapped around your own and tried to focus on the feeling.

    "I hope you all don't mind that I brought a guest," Tendou said as he reached the back of one of the couches and immediately reached up with his free hand to tossle the hair of a kid with a black hair and a strange bowl-cut that sat right below where he was standing.