ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғɪᴠᴇ | Anpans

As the cold mountain snow began to thaw, both you and the Kamado boy had just left his village after sending your proper goodbyes to the Water Pillar.

You offered Tanjiro a reprieve from having to bury his family, but he insisted on doing it himself; he cried a river that day.

Swadling the demon girl in a small basket you paid for, Tanjiro holds it tightly with one arm, the other one hesitantly linking itself to yours.

Poor boy... You think to yourself as he sniffs his tears away. You had wished you could give him more time to properly grieve for his family, but you're more than sure 'Urodaki-san' would be upset at our late arrival.

The trek down the summit was quiet, the cool air slowly but surely turning warmer as you reach the base of the mountain. It was now late into the afternoon, yet the both of you still hadn't been able to eat.

You look down at Tanjiro once more, noticing the redness of his eyes. His pace got more sluggish, too, so you suspected that he was growing more tired.

Halting, you softly maneuver your hand through your skirt pocket, managing to feel something soft before bringing it out.

"Here, it's an anpan. It's not much, but I hope it'll be able to stave off your hunger."

He silently coveys his thanks by nodding, before unwrapping the paper around the treat and taking a bite.

Taking your eyes off of the boy, you opt to stare at the map Tomioka-san had kindly given you, calculating the remaining amount of time you have left to head to the former water hashira's abode.

"You-"

"Hm?" You tilt your head back at Tanjiro, who sheepishly nods his head in your direction.

"Are you not hungry aswell? We can half it, [Last Name]-san, I don't mind-" He receives a laugh as an answer to his question.

"Oh, dear. I'm not hungry at all. Just finish the entire bread." You fib. You were hungry, of course. You had completely forgotten to eat breakfast to instead head for the former water pillar's house.

The boy frowns up at you, fiddling with the paper wrapping the bread. 

Ah, what a sweet and responsible child. You think, fondly watching him eat his fill.

"When we pass through a restaurant or stall I'll buy both of us more food, okay? I'm fine." You pat his head before continuing onward.

"You smell hungry though..." He whispers under his breath.

────────────