Maybe a chance for friendship

Jade let out a frustrated huff. She couldn't understand why Nerissa was ignoring them. Jade was sitting at the lunch table with Quincy, Blake, Onisa, and Ty. Nerissa was not-in fact- ignoring Quincy. The two were staring at each other and had been for over most of the class before lunch.

"Can you stop staring at your crush for five seconds?" Jade asked. "Not all of us get to be graced with her... Acknowledgment."

Quincy's head snapped towards Jade. "Shut. The.-" insert curse word-"Up."

As if on cue a small voice said, "Mind if I join you?"

Quincy beamed at the sight of Nerissa standing at the foot of the table... Jade on the other hand wanted to gag.

"Your always welcome here," Ty said smiling.

Your just happy that she actually cares about you. Jade thought bitterly. She has already expressed multiple times she just hates me.

Nerissa sat down next to Quincy, a grateful smile on her face. Quincy put his arm around her shoulder and instead of shrugging him off like she normally would anyone else, she actually snuggled into his side.

"Are you two like a thing?" Asked Ty curiously.

Quincy answered. "Nope, just friends. Nerissa's not exactly allowed to date anyway."

And so the rest of lunch went like this: Everyone chatting away. Jade didn't miss the fact that Nerissa would periodically glance up at Quincy- who was now taller.

Eventually whilst having a conversation with Blake, Jade heard Quincy say quietly, "are you alright?"

Out of the corner of her eye, Jade saw Nerissa nod and snuggle even more into him. "Just a little nervous."

Jade couldn't miss the worried gleam in Quincy's eyes. He quickly masked the look with a teasing smile. "My Rainbow? Nervous? Who are you and what did you do with my best friend?"

My Rainbow. My. Rainbow. My Rainbow. Jade replayed the words in her mind. Were they lying to not only the group... But Nerissa's parents?

"I didn't do anything to your amazing bff, okay." Nerissa said smiling.

"I know, I know."

Best friends forever, hmmm? Well your forever may end soon. Thought Jade and then immediately regretted it. She had already ruined the friendship (whatever was there) and she wasn't going to ruin the new chance.

"Jade, hey Jade! Get out of La La Land!" Blake shook Jade's shoulders. Her eyes snapped to him. "You looked like you were brooding."

"Nerissa asked you a question." Stated Quincy like it was his duty.

"Huh?" Asked Jade dumbly.

"I said, so hows the grades situation? I seem to remember at the beginning of the year there was some G.P.A problems?"

Jade smiled. It may not be the best topic... But at least there was still hope for a friendship.