Testing

Nerissa hated testing. it wasn't the fact that she was bad at it; it was the fact that it was a waste of her time. The only reason she tried so hard to get advanced was because good grades was one thing that her father was proud of. So that was why she was now sitting in Mr. M's homeroom waiting for the signal to go to her testing room was given.

"Why do we need to do this again?" Asked the ever-so annoying Anthony.

Nerissa sighed. "Good scores gets us better teachers and a school to come back to next year," she replied pulling one of her earbuds out.

"Well, they're getting cozy," Ty said pushing Anthony out of his chair next to Nerissa and taking a place there.

He was- of course- talking about Onisa and Johnathan whom were practically snuggling in the back of the classroom. Nerissa wanted to gag. Something about PDA always made her sick. And there it was- that empty feeling, the one of longing for something or someone to be there for her indefinately.

She put on a fake stoic look and gagged. "It's revolting."

Ty nodded in agreement and Nerissa put her earbud back in.

(Yes music lyrics as cliche as it is)

Now come one,

Come all,

To this tragic affair,

Wipe off that make up,

What's in is despair,

So throw on the black dress,

Mix in with the lot,

You might wake up and notice you're someone you're not,

If you look in the mirror and don't like what you see,

You can find out first hand what it's like to be me,

So gather 'round piggies and kiss this goodbye,

I encourage your smiles,

I expect you won't cry.

I can't cry anymore so that shouldn't be a problem, Nerissa thought bitterly but maintained the stoic look like she'd practice so many times before.

Mr. M started to speak so Nerissa took out her earbuds and started listening like a good little teachers pet.

"Okay guys, I know you are all tired of testing... but it's only two more days! At this time I'll ask that if you have another class for testing that you drop your electronic device in the bucket and go to that class. Good luck!"

Nerissa powered down her phone, dropped it in the bucket then walked to Mrs. H's class with her hands in the pockets of her black denim jeans.

__________________________________________________________________

"Do you think that you did a good job?" Mrs. H asked Nerissa while they were waiting for the okay to go back downstairs to the pod after everyone had finished.

Nerissa sighed. "Define good?"

Mrs. H rolled her eyes. "I'm sure you did fine."

The computer lab was so loud and there was so many people touching her she was on the verge of a panic attack. "Can they just shut up for two seconds before I have panic attack?" Of course she said it so quietly that Mrs. H didn't hear her.

"So what's going on between you Onisa? Those icy stares she keeps shooting you aren't very friendly."

Nerissa rolled her eyes. "The die hard Christian doesn't like the fact that I'm about to die hard barely believing there is a God."

"Oh, that's a stupid reason to be arguing." Mrs. H repied.

Nerissa nodded in agreement. "That and I'm apparently too 'emo' and she's afraid of how 'depressed' I've become. But of course that ties into religion. Apparently it's a sin to hurt your self and she is bent on believing that I'm cutting myself."

Mrs. H hesitated. "Not that it's any of my business... but you're not cutting yourself, right?"

Nerissa sighed. She knew that Mrs. H meant the best, but she was done with the depression question. It wasn't even the fact that people thought she was depressed, it was the acute possibility that she was depressed.

"Nope, just mopey and sad as usaual. I'm just not a naturally happy person. I just think she wants her alone time with Johnathan. Marley and Ty are making up for it though."

Nerissa smiled thoughtfully. Marley and Ty have been amazing friends in Quincy's lack of intrest in her lately. He had recently became friends with Bella again and that had put a serious dent on their friendship. Just can't keep a friendship can you Nerissa, she scolded herself silently.

"Well, at least you seemed to be good on the testing aspects of things."

Nerissa groaned. "I. Hate. Tests." She said, earning a chuckle from Mrs. H.

__________________________________________________________________

The next day of testing came with the same boring results as the first. A mediocore test that managed to be harder than the easy school work that Nerissa abided her time on. Then came the bomb shell- Noah was in that testing class for the day, as he was kicked out of Mr. M's. Nerissa didn't mind Noah, but he had a tendancy to get in a lot of trouble and was a total flirt. So you can imagine how this after-testing period was going to go.

"And.... drum roll please... Nerissa finally finished!" Noah teased as he, Nerissa, and Mrs. H chated.

Nerissa fake bowed. "Thank you, thank you." She said. "That servey needed my undivided attention. I had figured that the world had already worked out that you don't give me a text box or piece of paper and tell me to write my opinion. Guess not."

Mrs. H and Noah laughed at that comment. "You are a very opinionative person, Nerissa." Noah started. "You are also very analytical... almost too analytical. What do you do for fun? Analyse college essays to see if they are up to par?"

Nerissa scoffed. "As if! I read the wonderful Percy Jackson books and write! I have an over-developed sense of maddness!"

Mrs. H looked confused. "'Over developed sense of maddness.'"

Nerissa grinned. "As Edger Allen Poe once said, 'Maddness is merely an over-acutness of the sense.'"

Noah started laughing so hard he was hunched over. "That is so rich," he said inbetween breaths.

Good people are easy to come by, hard to befriend, and harder to like... so good thing I have Noah whom fits none of the above, Nerissa though as she slapped Noah on the back.

__________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! So without the author's not here the story is 1050 words! That is amazing for a short story that has absolutly no plot development for the actual story! The actual book I'm working on is at about pg. 110-120 so around 90-80 pages left til I hit the 200 mark where I'm gonna end the first book! I don't believe (hehehehehehe) I brought it home with me for the weekend but I hope to finish by the beginning of the next school year!

So on to point two. I am writing another book named The Last Dragon Riders and as soon as I finish the first chapter I will post it on Wattpad! There will be lots of cursing and such so it will be rated Mature. I have been getting a lot of support from my older relatives and my classmates who have seen my writing skills grow over the years- so here's a shout out to you!

-The Original Ice Queen, Reyna Aliva Ramirez Arelleno, OR ExpertNewbs

(p.s. with the author's note this short is 1232 words!)