Sixteen- I think I like you? (again)

"How'd you do on the quiz?" Versaillen asked as she sat down at their lunch table.

Peter shook his head. "I don't' know. I didn't have a lot of time to study." He sighed. "How about you?"

"Yeah, I think I did pretty well,"

"I'm going to lose my spot as number one in the class,"

Versaillen furrowed her eyebrows at him. "I'm number one in the class, though."

"Not this again," He sarcastically rolled his eyes. "I'm getting deja vu."

She hummed as she smiled. This didn't feel right for her. 

"What's wrong?" Peter asked. He placed his hand on top of hers, but she pulled away.

There was tension between them. Versaillen looked down at her hands in her lap. "I don't know. I feel very awkward around, right now. It's been years since I've felt like this around you."

"What do you mean? That's ridiculous to say." He scoffed.

She tucked her hair behind her ears. "Well, it's not exactly the point surprising thing in the world. We went from talking every day to not even acknowledging each other."

"Yes, we had a rough patch but-"

"I've got to go," She stood up and tossed her backpack over her shoulder. "I'll see you after school."

__________

"Hey, are we still going to get homecoming dresses?" MJ asked Versaillen during passing period. 

Versaillen shut her locker. "Of course. Friday or Saturday?"

"Can we actually do it Thursday? I'm moving this weekend,"

They began to walk toward the gym. "Yeah, of course. Did you hear about Kara and Peter?"

"No?" She turned to look at her. "Are they dating...?"

"Not that I know of, but apparently she's going to ask Peter to homecoming."

MJ scoffed. "You're kidding. That's hilarious. Do you think Peter's going to say yes?"

"I don't know. He told me that he wanted to go with me, but that was before- you know."

"Screw him," She rolled her eyes. "Not literally, but you should go with someone if he is."

"It's only been two weeks since we broke up. That seems a little low."

"Homecoming is in two weeks. Which would make it a month. Ask Cameron,"

Versaillen raised her eyebrows. "Oh no, no, no. I haven't even talked to him since he tried to convince me that Peter cheated on me."

"Oh, yeah," She pushed open the door to the gym. "I forgot about that. Yeah, we can go by ourselves. Who knows? Maybe Peter will fall back in love with you."

"Yeah, maybe," She laughed. 

_________

"Hey, Peter," May stuck her head in Peter's room. "Ask Saillen if she wants anything for dinner,"

Peter sat at his desk. "Why can't you ask her? She's closer to you than me."

"Peter, you've barely spoken to her since she got here yesterday. Go talk to her,"

"No, May, it's going to be weird,"

"Hey, Versaillen!" She shouted into the living room. "Can you come here for a moment?"

She got off the couch and walked into Peter's room. "Is there something I can do, May?"

"Yeah, will you stay here? I've got to go get something," She walked away and shut the door.

Peter spun in his desk chair. "She's not coming back,"

"Oh," Versaillen had a hard time finding her words. "Well, I can leave- If you want me to? I-"

"Can we continue the conversation we were having? I don't understand why you feel- awkward around me." He placed his pen in between his teeth. 

She ran her fingers through her hair. "Look, I'm sorry about that. I probably shouldn't have said that. I was just-"

"-Don't do that. Tell me about it. I'm still your best friend."

"You're not, though," She sighed as she sat down on his lower bunk. "You know, I was in love with you. Or, I thought I was. I felt like my world came to an end. I thought we were going to be high school sweethearts. I was stupid, I thought that a boy, I dated for a month, then ended things with, was going to be my soulmate."

"You're not stupid- we just weren't right for each other. I think. Maybe love wasn't the right word for us."

Versaillen smiled. "Yeah, I guess, but I didn't just lose my boyfriend, Peter. I lost my best friend. And- I feel like I just took a bunch of crazy pills! Like, why am I still not over you when we didn't even make it past a month," She dug her fingernails into her scalp. 

Peter quickly got up. He removed her fingers from her scalp and hugged her. The same way he had hugged her in her room weeks before. Except it didn't feel the same, it felt as if her heart was being slowly pulled out of her chest. 

She pulled away from him as he cupped her face. They stared at each other, and Peter glanced down at her lips until Versaillen's phone buzzed. "Flash is throwing a party,"

"You're going to go?"

"Yeah? You should go too. Since you missed the last one,"

"Aye, I had to leave because of, you know,"

"Mhm," She nodded as she grabbed her jacket and keys. 

a/n: my b i should've updated Wednesday and Saturday but i got busy I'm sorry but updates coming soon!