Chapter Eleven

Dusty opened her eyes. She and Blaze ran for long, and were very tired. They found somewhere to rest, and after rest they would continue their journey. Dusty had enough of rest.

She looked around, and saw Blaze dragging a plump rabbit along the grass. The fox cub probably went to hunt something to get more energy.

"Hi, Dusty," she said as she dropped her prey. "Are you ready yet?"

"Yes," said Dusty, and as she looked from Blaze to the rabbit, her stomach growled. "And I'm hungry."

"I know, that's why I caught this," the fox cub said.

Dusty blinked. "Thank you, Blaze! You're the best friend in the whole world!" she said.

"And you are the best friend in the whole universe!" Blaze replied, and the two friends began to eat the prey.

After feeling full, Dusty buried the remains of the rabbit, and followed the light trail.

"How long do we have to run to get there?" panted Blaze, catching up to her.

"We're halfway there," replied Dusty, and ran faster.

A few minutes passed. The wolf pup and the fox cub were now climbing a mountain pathway. This time, Blaze was in front, her agility letting Dusty know the safest path. Dusty climbed up the rocks after her.

"I already found a smooth surface!" Dusty heard Blaze's cheerful voice.

"Great!" said Dusty, and climbed up, and soon reached the smooth surface.

They stopped at the edge of a cliff. A few metres away from it, there was another cliff edge. On the both edges, a fallen tree was lying down. Underneath it, was a raging river. The friends sensed an opporunity to get over.

"Get over the fallen tree!" yelled Blaze, and ran over the bridge. Dusty followed.

"Okay," she said as she walked along the tree, but suddenly, she stopped. A familiar scent hit her nostrils. It was... Red Foot's scent!

"Blaze," she panted as she crouched down and the tree shuffled. "I may need some help."

"Sure! What do you need help with?"

"I... uhhh... I need help getting over the bridge... My paws... have never touched bark before..."

"I will help you!" said Blaze, and ran over to Dusty on the tree. She put her paw forward.

Dusty pulled her paw towards her friends'. Suddenly, the tree shuffled even more, and Dusty held on.

"Ahh!" she yelped.

"Dusty, just walk on this tree to me!" said Blaze. But the tree shuffled, and rolled on the other side, and both of the pups held on, almost hanging off.

"Dusty, I can't help you with anything!" yelped Blaze.

"I know! But all we need to do is hold on!" panted Dusty.

Suddenly, the tree hung off one of the cliff edges. Dusty held even more, and the next thing she knew is that the tree broke off and she, Blaze and the tree tumbled into the river.

Dusty closed her eyes, and felt her claws let go off the bark. She opened them again, and found herself in the water, struggling against the strong current. The tree with Blaze floated away.

"Dusty!" Blaze called, and reached her paw out. Dusty swam up to her, struggling, but she still swam up to her friend and held her paw.

"Hold on!" she heard the fox cub say, and she felt Blaze tug her on her scruff and pull her onto the tree.

Dusty shook off the water droplets off her pelt, and lay down, exhausted.

"Thanks," she panted.

Suddenly, a wave came under their tree, and threw them high up in the air. The pups held on, and the tree dropped back into the river.

"Hold on as tight as you can!" Dusty told to Blaze. Blaze blinked in sign of agreement.

Dusty looked in the way the tree was floating. The light trail was still there. The tree was floating towards the light.

Another wave came under her. Dusty closed her eyes, hoping that they will get there soon.

Misty was lying down in the grass. She loved resting under the trees at sunset. She heard the birds singing, and the light breeze blowing through the grass. Flame was lying down next to her.

"Hey Flame," said Misty. "Do you want to play?"

"Sure," said Flame.

Suddenly, Misty heard Daisy's voice:

"Come here to the river! There is a tree washed up!"

Misty jumped up on her paws. She ran as fast as she could towards Daisy. Flame followed.

Misty stopped in front of Daisy. She looked at the tree lying next to her. Next to the tree, a grey wolf pup and a fox cub were lying next to it.

They opened their eyes. The grey wolf pup stood up and looked at Misty.

"M-misty?" she said.

"I- how do you know my name?" Misty said.

"My mother told me about you," the wolf pup said.

Misty looked into her eyes.

"Who was your mother?" she asked.

"Star."

Misty thought for a minute.

"Star is also my mother!" she yapped. "So that means that you are my sister?"

"Yep!"

"And what is your name?"

"Dusty." the grey pup said.

The fox cub standing next to her looked shyly at Misty.

"Oh, and this is Blaze, my best friend," said Dusty, looking over to the fox cub.

"Hi," said Blaze.

"Nice to meet you both!" said Daisy. "Now, Honey, Toby, collect leaves, grass and feathers for Dusty and Blaze's sleeping nests!"

Honey Eye and Toby nodded, and ran away.

"You have sleeping nests?" asked Dusty.

"Yep! And they are nice and comfortable!" said Misty. "I will teach you how to make one!"

"Cool!"

The sun already disappeared when Misty, Honey and Toby finished Dusty and Blaze's nest. Misty walked over to her nest, and lay down in it. She saw Dusty and Blaze lying in their nests.

"Wow! They are so comfortable!" said Blaze. "I wish I slept in one before!"

"Yes, they are," said Misty. She yawned, and fell asleep.

Now Dusty and Blaze can help me with saving my pack! They told me about their plan! she thought.

To be continued...