12: American Fashion

Percy POV

Bianca and Nico were driving the jeep with a large speaker system on the roof. A large siren started blaring from the jeep's speakers. You could probably hear it for half a mile. Most of the zombies turned away from us and staggered to the jeep. Nico gave a quick wave from the passenger window before Bianca started driving the siren away from us. 

Luke approached us with his truck while all the zombies followed Bianca and Nico. The progress was slow, but the plan was effective.

Bianca and Nico slowly drew the zombies away via the siren.

Luke, Annabeth, and I shot the few spare zombies left behind. Annabeth and I quickly climbed down. Pain shot into my left leg. 

"Where's Beckendorf," Luke shouted frantically. 

"His corpse is over there," I whispered while pointing at the zombie. The entire street was littered with corpses, but only Charles's corpse mattered to me. 

"We have to take him back to the camp," Luke said quietly. "I know that death is a part of our world now. However, Charles was such an important person to the museum. He needs a proper funeral."

Annabeth and I both agreed with Luke. He was speaking utter facts, and I appreciated him for it. 

Since my ankle is injured, I worked on shooting any spare zombies nearby. There were still quite a few zombies in our street, but not nearly as many as before. I couldn't believe everything that happened in the past couple of minutes. 

Annabeth and Luke moved Charles into the new truck. 

Then, Luke opened the doors to the old moving truck. As I expected, a bunch of biology tech equipment was inside. South Sector is used as a research center. 

However, how much progress were they possibly making? What's the point? It seemed like a waste of time to me. 

I helped them transfer the equipment. 

"How is Silena doing?" Luke asked while looking at the roof of the truck. We couldn't see them fully. "She must be devastated." 

"That's not all, Luke. Silena was also a bit. Charles was a bit a lot, and he quickly transformed. Silena's bite was more superficial. Her transformation will be slower and painful," I expressed. 

"We have to take her back too," Annabeth said quietly. A faraway look entered her face, but she cleared her throat. 

Luke paused and went toward Annabeth. "I know she's one of your best friends, but she's going to die soon. We can study her transformation."

"That's sick," I exclaimed. "You can't do that." 

"We have other subjects at the camp," Annabeth explained with a sigh. "Luke is being reasonable, Percy. If Silena agrees, we'll study her zombie."

I shook my head in disgust. 

South Sector is private because they have other zombies in there. The science individuals at camp are allowed in there because they're helping with the research. Whatever it is. I hate this situation. 

The old moving truck was beaten up. We transferred the equipment into the new truck quickly. Then, Thalia and Silena finally came down. Silena's body was shaking with a fever, and her eyes were bloodshot. She's still alive and herself though. I tried not to think about Charles as I helped her into the moving truck. 

While Annabeth and Luke rode in the front, Thalia, Silena, and I rode in the back of the truck. This moving truck was larger than the last. There's more room for us to sit despite all the technological equipment.