13: Truth

Percy POV

Rachel and I were walking around the museum. I was on guard duty, and Rachel decided to join me for company. I didn't mind her presence though. Rachel and I had become very close friends, especially over the past week.

Beck and Silena's deaths have changed things in camp.

Everyone was feeling the deep sorrow of their absence. I couldn't shake the feeling that we could've done more. However, there's nothing more that could've been done.

"I know that a lot changed in the past week. How are you holding up, Percy?" Rachel asked. Her red hair was in a fiery ponytail. She was struggling to control her poofy hair because of the crazy wind today.

New York usually isn't windy like this. It was just one of those days.

"I'm fine, Rachel. I miss them though."

"Chiron wanted me to ask you if you're willing to help in South Sector. You know the camp's biggest secret now, so we need some more help," Rachel informed.

"I can't imagine myself working next to caged-up zombies."

"It's hard sometimes," Rachel said quietly.

I violently stabbed into a zombie's brain before retracting my spear. Guard duty is a great way of relieving stress and tension. Violence is a part of human nature, and responsibly dispelling anger feels great afterward. I finished with two more zombies before turning to Rachel, who stopped walking.

She had a downcast look on her face. The sunlight made her hair glow like fire. I went closer to her and stopped a few feet away. I rested my hand on her shoulder.

"Rachel, what's wrong?" I asked.

She looked up at my eyes. Rachel was several inches shorter than me, but her light green eyes sparkled with tears. She shrugged and shook her head.

"Rachel-"

"I spend so much time smiling and coordinating activities for people at camp. Sometimes, it is so hard to keep up the facade. I smile and paint with everyone because I don't want them to feel the darkness and loneliness that I feel daily," she replied.

My other arm raised and rested next to her neck. "You're not alone, Rachel. So many people at camp love what you do for us. Plus, you have friends here."

"I know, but I'm tired of pretending like things will get better," Rachel whispered sadly.

I pulled a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

It's easy to understand where she's coming from. She misses her old life, and she's trying to make everyone feel better. However, in the process, she's lying to herself. We live in a zombie apocalypse; things aren't going to get better anytime soon.

"Look at me, Rachel. You're not alone. Trust me when I say that there isn't any darkness in you. You're so kind and pure," I expressed.

Her green eyes sparked while she gazed at me.

I felt the distance between us close. A few weeks ago, I didn't even believe that I could have a romantic relationship. My views on the world changed after coming here. I realized that working with others is a good thing. Creating meaningful relationships is the point.

My face slowly tilted and drew close to her lips. My eyes closed while my hands cupped Rachel's pale face. It's been so long since I felt a sensual connection with someone.

I felt her soft breath flutter my lips and skin.

Suddenly, a car screech pierced the moment. I gasped while pulling away from her. Rachel and I both turned toward the busy street.