21: Falling

Percy POV

I stabbed a zombie that was stuck on a spike trap. Luke and I were on guard duty today. We worked efficiently, but we didn't talk much to each other. We have a purely professional relationship at camp. 

I wouldn't consider us friends. He's my superior, and he gives me instructions for the safety of the camp. He's tough, but a part of me respects him though. 

"It's weird that Piper is late for duty, right?" I asked, just to say something. 

Luke stopped his perimeter sweep and turned to me. Sweat flowed down his brow before he wiped his face with a rag. "We both know the reason why she's late. Jason and Piper have been out of it recently, and it's affecting their work schedules too." 

I terminated another zombie before stopping. 

Luke was starting to walk back to the museum. But, he didn't go inside. Instead, he grabbed his backpack from the stairs out front. He tossed me a water bottle before drinking some water himself. The cool water flowed down my warm throat, rejuvenating me. 

Finally, I set the bottle down and faced Luke. He was already looking at me with interest, but I couldn't read his thoughts. Luke is too careful and guarded to be read so easily. 

"You don't think Jason and Piper are justified?" I continued. 

"They're having personal problems, but in my opinion, it shouldn't affect their work. We have a responsibility to this camp just like parents have a responsibility to their children. And, you have an obligation to Estelle." 

"That I do," I agreed. 

"I'm sure Jason and Piper will figure things out soon enough. Anyway, do you have any family left?" I asked. 

I wish I hadn't asked that because Luke's facial expressions changed. His jaw hardened as he shook his head. He walked to the perimeter before stabbing another zombie. The groaning zombie silenced before crumbling to the group outside the perimeter. Guard duty is easy, but it's a lot of work to clear the traps during every shift. 

I gulped but continued to wait for an answer. I don't know Luke very well. We tend to have a lot of disagreements, so I never bothered to become friends with him. 

"This camp is my family. Annabeth and Thalia are my family, and I fear that I'm going to let them down someday," Luke responded after a few seconds. 

"What do you mean?" 

"If I die, no one's going to be looking out for them," he said simply. "They are amazing women, and they can take care of themselves of course. But, some reassurance would be nice." 

"Thalia has family," I affirmed. "Jason and Thalia are always going to take care of each other. Annabeth also has her little brothers. She won't be alone. Besides, nothing is going to happen to you, Luke." 

Luke shook his head while frowning. 

"You don't get it, Jackson. I'm not the man everyone knows to be. I did some pretty bad things in the past before the apocalypse. I was so angry with my father that I lashed out at anyone who got close to me," Luke started. I waited for him to go on. 

"My father abandoned me when I was a child. He just left, and I was stuck dealing with a schizophrenic mother. I had to do what I can to get by every day. As I got older, anger and desperation bubbled in me and led to some awful things. For example, I was in a gang a few years ago where I tried to-"

"Luke, STOP," I commanded. 

He froze his explanation and looked at me. I shook my head at him. 

"I don't care what you were before the zombie world. The lives we live are so gray, and the past doesn't matter in this new world. I don't want to know what you did, Luke," I said firmly.