18: Welcome

Annabeth POV

Seaweed Brain didn't come back. That stupid idiot promised he'd be back as soon as possible. However, it's the afternoon of the next day, and Percy's still not back. I can't wait to see him again. A string of curses were waiting to slip out of my mouth. 

"Annie, Percy knows how to survive. He's going to be fine. You know that a zombie horde swept through the city yesterday. He probably took cover," Piper expressed. 

"He promised to come back to me," I said. 

"You mean, to us, right?" she asked suspiciously. A smirk crept onto her face as she looked at me with a steely gaze. 

"That's what I meant," I murmured. 

"Yeah sure, Annie. That's definitely what you meant," Piper said sarcastically. A knowing smile spread across her face whilst she brushed my arm. 

I stopped the perimeter check and glared at her. 

"What's that supposed to mean?" I snapped. I stabbed a nearby zombie that was trapped on a metal spike. Thalai slashed at two additional zombies before laughing at my angry face. She shook her head at me like I was a child. 

"You're so oblivious, Annabeth. Come on. You're supposed to be the smartest person at the camp. How can you not know?" she asked. 

"Know what?" 

"You're developing feelings for Percy Jackson," Piper expressed firmly. "This is so amazing. The girl who doesn't believe romance and apocalypse can coexist is now having romantic feelings for someone." 

I was too stunned to speak. There was no way I like Percy. He's a great guy to have around, but we are too different. Plus, we live in a zombie apocalypse. It wouldn't be right to have feelings for someone. 

I turned around and jabbed a zombie in the eye. The groaning zombie quietened and crumbled to the blood-splattered road. 

"Look who's ignoring her feelings," Piper continued. 

"Shut up, Pipes. I don't like him like that. We made a pact to always find our way back to each other. That's it." 

"You don't think a promise like that means something?" Piper asked. A teasing yet honest tone laced her voice.  "A guy would never make a promise like that unless he truly cares for the girl. Percy likes you too."

We continued our perimeter strike. Since there was a zombie sweep yesterday, a lot of zombies were impaling themselves on our traps. As such, Chiron wanted Piper and me to go out and clear the perimeter in the afternoon. We had already covered 75% of the perimeter. We were now finishing the front of the museum. 

Piper was jabbing at zombies left and right. 

To be honest, I'm letting her do most of the work. It's not like she minds though. She's one of my best friends, and Piper needs the fighting practice against real zombies. 

"So, here you girls are," Luke acknowledged. 

We turned around as Luke approached us. Piper, Luke, and I have been on so many raids together. We have an abundant amount of memories together. Luke smiled while tossing water bottles at me and Piper. 

"Thanks, Luke," I said politely. 

"No problem. You guys did a great job with the perimeter," Luke expressed. 

We nodded in agreement. The cool water washed down my throat, providing immediate relief. Gods, drinking water feels so good sometimes. Piper moaned in appreciation. 

"So, what are you guys talking about?" Luke asked. 

"Annabeth's just worried that Percy isn't back yet. It's been over a day, and it shouldn't take this long to come back with some baby supplies and meds," Piper explained.