29: Lights

Annabeth POV

I gazed out the fourth-floor windows. The hotel is located in a very busy part of Philadelphia just like our previous camp. I could see UPenn's hospital system in front of me. There were multiple restaurants, stores, and university buildings on the other sides. 

Groups of zombies were littering the streets. Even though it seemed like a large number, the zombie count was nothing compared to New York. 

"You've been spending more time alone lately," Luke's voice disrupted my thoughts. 

"I don't feel like interacting with anyone."

"Anyone but one person?" Luke asked. A hidden meaning played in his short sentence. Of course, Luke knew about my and Percy's relationship. Even though we said to keep it hidden, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out. 

Besides, Percy always wanted a fully committed relationship. He didn't mind telling everyone because he wanted people to know that we love each other. I hesitated on telling everyone because I wasn't ready yet. 

I sighed as Luke settled next to me. We were staring out of the large ovular window. The lobby was empty because it was late in the night. The stars were shining brightly. I was surprised that Bob wasn't here. He was an astronomer before the apocalypse, so he's usually always looking outside on a clear day like today. 

"I've lost people to the apocalypse. My parents died after the apocalypse started. However, I didn't expect losing someone to hurt that much again," I expressed quietly. 

"You and Thalia were quite close, Annie. It's understandable. Furthermore, Percy was special to you. There's no denying that."

I paused and gazed over at Luke's face. Even though I'm tall for a female, Luke was way taller, so I had to look up. The moonlight shined against Luke's cheek scar. He received the scar before the apocalypse. His mom attacked him during one of her psychotic episodes. 

"He wouldn't want you to be stalled on him," Luke said. 

"I know that."

We stood in silence. I didn't know what Luke was thinking about, but I was thinking about Percy only. I missed him so much. 

"I know that you didn't get along much with Percy," I replied. "And, I'm probably part of the reason for it, but thank you for saving his sister." 

"I knew you'd always choose Percy over me," Luke said quietly. 

Tears were sparkling in his eyes. Almost everyone has gone through what he was feeling. Imagine never being someone's first choice. Percy is always my first choice; Luke would always fall after him on the spectrum. Luke knew it too. 

I didn't know what to say, so I let the silence speak for itself. 

Luke patted my shoulder before leaving me alone. 

I sat down on a loveseat near the window and continued to look at the stars. I only know of a few constellations. The big dipper was shining brightly in the sky. I always wondered about the people who labeled the constellations thousands of years ago. 

They didn't have it any easier. Life is always hard. It's not easier for some people than others. Everyone goes through their own problems. Hopefully, the individuals will be able to grow stronger out of hardships. Hopefully, they can handle them. 

I'm handling my life or (at least) trying to. 

However, a part of me is also hopeful. No one saw Percy die. They definitely didn't see Thalia die. Maybe, they're still out there looking for me.