14: Siblings

Annabeth POV

I couldn't find Percy anywhere in the facility. After Calypso talked to Percy, he disappeared from the infirmary, and I couldn't find him since. While Percy's entitled to some privacy, I wanted to make sure he was okay with everyone that happened today.

He ran straight into a horde of monsters to save someone. That's just the type of person that Percy is.

There was one place I hadn't checked yet: the roof.

Before I walk into the isolated hallway, I was interrupted by Leo. He was tinkering with a few gadgets and seemingly getting frustrated. Different equipment was sprawled on the floor, and he was trying to fix the defibrillator.

"Leo, what are you doing on the floor?" I asked in surprise. The Latino boy looked up from his messy workstation.

"I usually come to this hallway because it's quiet. I thought I was the only person that knew about this private employee's hallway," he answered.

"It's my getaway as well."

I sat on the floor next to him. His forehead was sweating, and his long curly hair was sticking to his head and neck. I still remember the days when I used to listen to him on the radio. He gave me hope in those days. I was so glad when I found out Leo was still alive and was going to live in the survival camp.

We became very good friends because of our matching intellects. While Leo can be goofy, his mind is similar to my own regarding academics and engineering.

"Anyway, what are you building?"

He sighed while setting his gadget down. At the moment, it looked like he was trying to connect steel rods to the defibrillator paddles of an EMS. I'm positive that he's building a weapon of some sort, possibly a device that can shock people/zombies.

"This is a small project that I've been working on for the past few weeks. I'm trying to create a large cattle prod. Essentially, by connecting the metal rods to an electrical device, we can shock the zombies," Leo explained. "With a strong enough pulse, we could fry their brains by shocking any part of their body."

"So, you're creating a weapon that can terminate zombies by attacking them anywhere on their bodies. That's... genius," I exclaimed.

Leo smiled lightly.

"Yeah. Sometimes, it's hard to hit a zombie's head. This weapon can help terminate zombies by attacking their bodies. I hope I can make it work."

"Leo, you'll definetly figure it out," I stated earnestly.

"Anyway, you spent a lot of time with Calypso today," I suggested. My tone carried an innuendo on purpose.

Leo blushed lightly. "Calypso and I both went to Cornell University. We even shared an English class before the world went to hell. I doubt that she even knows me, but I always like her. I had and still have a huge crush on her."

"It's probably a stupid thing," Leo chuckled in embarrassment.

"No, you're okay," I expressed. I thought it was something like this. "If you still have feelings for her, maybe you can admit them. At least, your conscious would be clear."

"Annabeth, we live in a zombified world. It doesn't matter," Leo whispered. "Besides, Calypso could never like me. Did you see the way that she was looking at Percy? She was looking at him with such admiration and attraction."

My gut felt like it turned upside down. My insides churned. I also noticed Calypso's lustful gaze as she talked to Percy. I know that it shouldn't bother me, but it does. Our relationship is a complicated one. We argue and fight all the time. However, even since our evening together on the roof, things were different.