Shades of Grey

Lucius Malfoy was not a happy man. Overnight, the power balance in the Wizarding World had shifted dramatically. In favour of the so called Light, at that. In one night, Potter had gone from isolated, with only the old fool, Dumbledore, and a couple of friends to protect him, the next he was in the protective embrace of the Avengers and, most particularly, the two heirs apparent to the throne of the legendary Asgard.

In other words, he might as well be out of reach, and if any of his father's, or worse, his uncle's, powers lay latent within him… well, it would certainly explain why the Dark Lord had attacked the family, doubtless seeking to strike while the mighty Thor was indisposed as a mortal.

And even if one took the Avengers out of the equation, any plans would face a large, scary, one-eyed African American road block. He hadn't seen Fury since the night he'd taken the younger man's eye and the young man had shattered his wand and given him a limp that even the best magical medicine and therapy couldn't dislodge. Lucius was of the opinion, as informed by his old friend, Baron Von Strucker, a rare muggle who had transcended the boundaries that faced the heaving mass of muggle kind, making himself worthy to associate, at least vaguely, with wizards, that Agent Nicholas Fury had not been weakened by age. Only hardened.

And he was not Agent Fury anymore. He was Director Fury, the undisputed master of SHIELD – an organisation Lucius despised, but respected, albeit grudgingly, a power among muggles and wizards alike. Lucius' sources in America, the base of Fury's power, had noted Fury's unseen, unspoken but powerful influence on the Wizarding Community there.

While Lucius deplored the man's desires, to mould a pro-muggle status quo, he could admire, in a wary fashion, the man's efficiency in forming an entire community in his desired image in approximately four years. Yes. Age had definitely hardened.

He was also the teacher of the mysterious and deadly Agent Wisdom, a shadowy figure who had spent the last five years picking off the more influential but anonymous, and usually subhuman, servants of the Dark Lord with methodical efficiency. He didn't move on Death Eaters, however, leading Lucius to suspect that he was merely a muggle, albeit a dangerous one, who had lost his family to a Death Eater attack and leaving him with a healthy fear of the powerful wizards that had composed Voldemort's strike force, as was right. Of course, if he ever overcame that fear…

In short, Fury was dangerous. Extremely so. And he would be keeping a very close eye on both Potter and on Lucius himself. Naturally, Lucius would repay the favour. He half smiled. In a way, he'd missed this, matching wits and skills with the greatest minds and fighters of the age. His eyes narrowed. He would have to tread carefully, to ease back into this. While he fancied himself Fury's superior, the man had been playing the great game for high stakes for the last decade or so, well enough to gain a meteoric ascendance through the ranks of SHIELD, whilst he had grown comfortable in the role of peacetime power broker. One had been sharpening his skills while the other had let them gather dust and grow dull. First, he needed to cultivate a closer relationship with his old allies. Second, he needed to do it quietly. Third, he needed to get gold flowing through the Malfoy vaults. Fourth… he needed to practice his duelling.

He smiled. "First blood to you, Director. Enjoy it while you can," he said softly, rising, crossing to the wall of his study and whispering a password. A small compartment seamlessly opened and he withdrew a book. Snape may have been the Dark Lord's finest spy, but it was Lucius who had been the political mover and shaker. And, of course, the spymaster. It was time to dust off his old skills, he thought with a smile. He may have lost the last game, but this time… this time he was going to sweep the board.

"Doubtless they are preparing for war at this very moment," he murmured, imagining shelves full of contacts, letters being written to old allies and deadly serious preparation by muggle minions, as Loki and Fury presided over all. Yes, the war machine of the light would be working right now…