Into Darkness

Harry found that he was actually rather enjoying this banquet. Or rather, banquet to be. The food was apparently not due for another fifteen minutes, to give the guests full time to circulate, chat, threaten, backstab and subvert.

Parties like this, or so Harry had found, were like piles of autumn leaves – very pretty, ever changing and there were probably snakes at the bottom. If this had been put to Harry, he would have quite reasonably said that he could talk to snakes, but there is such thing as taking a metaphor too far.

All in all, he was rather happy. However, he still wasn't sure why his father was glaring at the two large, glossy ravens on his grandfather's shoulders, one of which cawed at him mockingly, before looking away with lordly disdain.

He looked up to see Loki sweeping over towards them, in male form once more – though his clothing was no less magnificent. He had a serious expression on his face, and while Harry was far from an expert, he was pretty sure that his uncle was sending out tendrils of his magic to encourage the crowd to move out of his way, which they did, allowing him to stride towards without breaking step.

Harry frowned at him, puzzled, and Thor followed his gaze, also frowning at Loki's expression – grave, worried and intense. As soon as he noticed their gazes however, he smiled, face transforming into that of the genial uncle.

"Good evening to you all," he said. "Father, mother," he said, inclining his head to them. "And King Farbaut. You look well, indeed, much as you did half an hour ago."

"I could not say the same for you," Farbaut said dryly, but there was an edge to it, Harry thought. Yes, the Frost Giant King was eyeing Loki, not fooled by the genial, if somewhat rushed façade. "I see you've changed your outfit."

"Well, variety is the spice of life, according to Midgardians," Loki said smoothly. "I'm afraid that I have to deny you the further pleasure of Harry's company – there are a few more guests that he should meet."

Harry was slightly puzzled by this, but decided to go with it. If nothing else, judging by the night so far, he'd meet interesting people. And he might come closer to finding out just what had his uncle bothered.

"I think that we can survive without," Odin said calmly. "And I think it will do you good," he said to Harry. "After all. One day, Asgard will be yours."

Harry felt his eyes go impossibly wide and his breathing catch. Asgard. A world he'd only heard about outside of myth and legend a couple of years ago, a world he'd only seen this last couple of days, a world that was on a scale that he could feel was far beyond his current comprehension… and one day it would belong to him, Harry, who could barely light a fire without his wand.

To say that that knocked him off balance would be an understatement.

"Father," Thor said, tone carrying a hint of reproof, and Harry felt his father's strong arm, which had previously been holding him lightly, pull him close to his body, grounding him, letting him get his bearings. "That day will be thousands and thousands of years away. He is already dealing with much. Let him face one earth shattering revelation at a time."

"I am merely stating what he is, Thor," Odin said calmly. "Not seeking to overwhelm him. He must get used to the fact that he is a Prince, in direct line to Asgard's throne."

Farbaut politely pretended not to pay attention, though Harry was pretty sure that he was listening intently to every word.

"It's okay, dad," Harry said quietly. "I get it, grandfather," he said to Odin.

Thor looked down at him, and Harry gave him a reassuring smile. Thor gave him one in return, but didn't seem entirely convinced. That was fair enough. Harry wasn't entirely certain himself.