Christmas and Politics

Following the startling revelations of Clint's ancestry, the Avengers split up. Thor, after comforting his bereaved former teacher somewhat and leaving her in the capable hands of Professor Dumbledore, who whisked her off to his office for a much needed cup of tea, decided to take another opportunity to wander the halls of Hogwarts. He wasn't expecting anyone else to be around, let alone someone below eye lever, so therefore he was in for something of a surprise.

Thor looked down as something or rather, someone, who was rather small walked into him. He looked down to see a smallish male Gryffindor student looking back up at him, looking slightly frightened and quite nervous. "Oh, I'm sorry Mr, um, Thor sir, I didn't mean," he began.

"No harm done," Thor said, then looked closely at him. "Neville?" he asked, then nodded decisively. "Frank and Alice's boy," he said. "I would recognise that face anywhere."

"You knew them, sir?"

"Please, at most, call me Mr Potter. Or Thor, or James. I answer to most things short of Fido, or so it seems these days," Thor said dryly.

"Yes, Mister Potter," Neville said, still a little nervous.

"I did, and I've heard about you from my son," Thor continued. Neville gulped. "And," Thor said, in his best reassuring fatherly voice. "From what I have heard, your mother and father must be so very proud of you." He looked closely at Neville. "You are the spitting image of your mother, you know. But I can see Frank in you, too."

"I… I don't know if they are or not," Neville said, voice small, and Thor's heart sank, while he inwardly wondered how this child of two his warmest, bravest and most confident friends had become such a shrinking violet. Augusta Longbottom, he decided, had much to answer for.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know. When did they… if I may ask?" he asked quietly.

"They're not dead."

Thor frowned and gave a look that said he wanted him to elaborate.

"Bellatrix and Rodolphus Lestrange and Barty Crouch Junior tortured them into insanity," Neville said, voice very small now. "They're in the permanent spell damage ward. Sometimes… sometimes I think they know who I am. Sometimes…" he trailed off, shrugging.

Thor laid a gentle hand on his shoulder. "I will visit them after Christmas, and ask my brother to investigate their case. The best healers in this world and in the Nine Realms will be set to putting this wrong right," he said seriously. He frowned. "I must talk to Augusta, she should have spoken to me about this."

"No!"

Thor raised as an eyebrow as Neville coloured under his scrutiny, partly in embarrassment at his sudden outburst. "Oh?"

It took Neville a few moments to gather his courage, but he was not a Gryffindor for no reason.

"Don't, Mr Potter, please. Not before Christmas. She gets upset when someone brings up my parents. She doesn't show it, and she doesn't think I know, but she does. She takes me for visits, but I can see it hurts her. And… she's my gran," Neville pleaded. "I want my parents back, but…"

"You want a happy Christmas. I understand," Thor said gently. His expression hardened slightly. "Though I will bring it up with her soon. But not yet."

"Thank you, Mr Potter. I've got to go," Neville said, relieved, and began to run off. After he got about ten metres, he turned and called back, "Oh, and, Merry Christmas!"

Then he ran off.

"Merry Christmas to you too, Neville," Thor called after him, and smiled. Harry was right. There was definitely more to Neville than met the eye. And he could only say that he approved.