Cloak and dagger

Loki's head snapped around. A moment before, he'd been listening in amusement to his nephew plotting mayhem with Stark, under the indulgent eye of his father, after a small informal dinner to celebrate Christmas Eve.

The guests comprised of the Avengers, Remus, Darcy, Jane, Pepper, Erik, Charles Xavier – who was Tony's godfather, Pepper's parents and Rhodey. All save Charles, who lived in Westchester, were staying at the Tower, so none had any problem with getting to accommodation. Well, none that wasn't Tony's fault.

What was studiously not mentioned was the fact that only Pepper, Thor, Loki and Jane had parents who were alive and/or they were on speaking terms with. Jane's parents were living in Chicago, so couldn't visit, but sent their best wishes. Loki had been planning to teleport her and Thor over. It was too early, he felt, for Harry to meet Jane's parents, lovely people though they were, as they were still adjusting to the fact that she was dating Thor. And, you know, her future brother-in-law was a mostly reformed supervillain.

Now… now he felt an inhuman magical signature in the Tower. Powerful, by the standards of Midgard, but nothing he couldn't handle. Slowly, silently, prepared for battle.

As he did, a note zipped over to him, landing in his hand. Then the magical signature disappeared with a cracking pop. He mentally ran down a list of the things that could enter and leave the Tower with so little fuss, concluded that it had to not have had hostile intentions, cross referenced that with the familiar signature and came to a conclusion. A House Elf. How odd.

Frowning, he turned away and opened the note. He scanned it, then paled. It was impossible. This could not be true. Still. He had to check.

Stepping neatly into a side room, he said, "JARVIS, kindly contact Director Fury for me, please."

"At once, sir," JARVIS said.

Fury's image appeared on a holographic screen.

"Loki? What is it?"

"Director, I have received a tip off from a source within the magical world," he said steadily. "Can you inform me of the current status of Britain's foreign intelligence service, MI6?"

"Fine why do you…" Fury began, before an Agent called something urgent and impossible to understand from off screen. Fury did, though, whipping around. "WHAT?!"

"It has been destroyed," Loki said flatly.

"Yeah," Fury said, the sounds of frantic activity going on in the background. "MI6 has been obliterated. The building is currently on fire. Do you have any idea what did this?"

"I do. And Director… you had better hope that I am wrong," Loki said softly. "Pray to every higher power you believe in, because if my source is right… we are all as good as dead."

Fury gave him a hard look. "Call in Romanov and Barton. I want you three in London as fast as possible."

"And the rest?"

"Don't tell them," Fury said. "This is cloak and dagger stuff. Yours, Barton's and Romanov's forte. Not theirs." He sighed. "Let 'em stay happy for now."

Loki nodded. "Understood."

"See you in London," Fury said, before signing off.

"JARVIS, could you please not inform my brother and the rest of this before I or SHIELD does?" Loki asked.

"Certainly, sir," JARVIS asked.

Loki nodded his thanks, then stepped back into the room. Thor raised an eyebrow at him. "Brother? Something bothers you?"

"The good Director has asked that I, Clint and Natasha investigate a minor matter. It is purely routine, an O84 of possibly mystical origin, I suspect," Loki lied smoothly. "Essentially, our expertise is briefly needed. We will be back soon."