Protecting people you love

The flight back was a long one, five and a half hours even with Tony's Stark Industries jet, and Harry spent a lot of that time asleep, tired out by the occasionally life threatening and always interesting events of the weekend, sprawled across the cream coloured sofa style seats, heading resting on his father's lap. Thor, in his James Potter form, was holding him close, covering him with a blanket and occasionally ran a hand through his hair. Even Tony trod lightly around the two, and they were unbothered.

Pepper came in and paused, smiling at the tableau before her. "If he's this cute now," she said softly. "He must have caused cavities as a baby."

Thor let out a soft chuckle as he looked up at her. He shifted back to his accustomed form. He tended to unconsciously do that when speaking to one of the Avengers. "I'll let you judge for yourself. There are a few family albums in the Potter vault, and I believe Harry himself has one." He looked back down at Harry. "Everyone says he looks just like me. But he doesn't. Well, he looks very like me," he elaborated. "But only in facial structure and hair. His mannerisms, like his eyes, are all Lily. The way his eyes sparkle when he is happy, the way they and his face harden when he is determined, even the way he smiles, the way he thinks and the way he laughs… is all, to me, so painfully like Lily."

"It must be hard," Pepper said sympathetically.

"A little," Thor admitted. "But seeing those smiles… it's like standing in a ray of sunlight on a warm Spring day. Sad yes, because of the strong hint of Winter that still clings to it, but all the more glorious because Summer is coming soon, and things can only get better."

"You wouldn't swap him for anything in the world, would you?" Pepper said knowingly, wondering at Thor's bout of eloquence. This wasn't a new event, as while Thor was a warrior first and foremost, large, bluff, boisterous and cheerful, he was also a Prince with a courtly manner.

"Not for all the power and knowledge in the Nine Realms," Thor said softly. "Not for anything. The greatest treasure that has ever existed is sleeping in my lap. He is the Jewel of the House of Odin. Even the legendary Arkenstone could not compare." He looked at Pepper again, eyes bright with emotion. "He is my child, and nothing can compare." His smile too turned knowing. "Something that you too will one day understand."

Pepper flushed slightly. "I do want kids someday, but not before Tony is ready, because…"

"Because you want them to be his," Thor finished. "You want to hold your son or daughter in your arms and know that he or she is Tony's as well, a little miracle you made together."

"Okay, insightful is a little unsettling coming from you, no offence," Pepper said, with a soft laugh.

"None is taken, Pepper. It is good to be able to surprise people. A good commander learns to read both friend and foe," Thor said, a slight smile on his face. "I have the advantages of a thousand years of experience and also of being a father."

He gently stroked Harry's head. "You'll make an excellent mother someday, Pepper, as Tony will make an excellent father – although he does not believe it," Thor said.

"So, you think children is on the cards for us?" Pepper asked curiously.

"I think every one of the Avengers could yet be parents," Thor said. "My bet on whose next is either you and Tony or Clint and Natasha." He looked around. "But don't tell them I said that," he said, tone slightly nervous.

Pepper smothered a laugh. "I don't need to."

"She's right behind me, isn't she?" Thor said, tone resigned.

"Yup."

Thor turned to see Natasha, who cocked an eyebrow at him.

"How much of that did you hear?"