The board is set

Harry's return to Hogwarts passed, by and large, without incident. As soon as he arrived at the platform, he was the centre of attention, though, to be fair, that was little different to usual.

But, to his everlasting relief, attention was quickly distracted by the Warriors Three, who were gazing around in wonderment. Or at least, in Hogun's case, gazing around with a single raised eyebrow.

"Daddy," one small child asked. "Are they muggles?"

Fandral turned and smiled charmingly. "Nay, small and fluffy one, unless muggle is another word for Asgardian," he said, and dipped a neat bow to the warmly clad puffball. "I am Fandral, and these two are Volstagg and Hogun. We are the Warriors Three."

The small child of indeterminate gender gave him a long, puzzled look, then his/her expression lit up and he/she pointed at Fandral let out a loud, carrying cry, "its Mister Silly!"

Fandral's expression swiftly shifted from charming indulgence to shock and dawning horror as laughter swiftly spread through the crowd, Thor's booming chuckle loudest of all. "Revenge, Fandral," Thor called. "Is a dish best served cold."

Fandral opened his mouth, shut it again, then simply shook his head and resolved for dignified silence. Though he did spare a poisonous glare for a sniggering Volstagg.

"So," Ron said. "Those are the legendary Warriors Three." He wrinkled his nose. "They don't look like much."

Harry shrugged. "Maybe. But they've been adventuring with Dad, uncle Loki and Lady Sif for last millennium and a bit, and they're still here," he pointed out.

"Speaking of Lady Sif, where is she?" Hermione said, looking around.

"At a guess?" Harry said casually, watching Fandral sulk. "Right behind you."

"I'm impressed."

Hermione whirled and looked up at Sif, who gave her a friendly smile. Hermione squeaked.

"It wasn't hard," Harry said, shrugging and turning. "Uncle Loki's getting me to practice extending my magical senses. I suggested that I use it like Diana can with her empathy, extending them as a sort of radar, so I can detect people. I can't do much with them, like detect an individual or extend them more than ten feet away, but Asgardians tend to stick out a bit and you're the only Asgardian I couldn't see."

"A fine deduction still," Sif said, smiling at him. Harry smiled back. "Your friends seem struck dumb."

"They do, don't they," Harry said, glancing at Ron and Hermione.

"I take it that these are the Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger I have heard so much about," Sif said. "Fine friends indeed, from what I hear."

"Thank you, my lady," Hermione managed.

Ron was blushing and merely nodded furiously.

"Please, just call me Sif," Sif said seriously. "I have to deal with enough courtesy and etiquette at court." She smiled slightly. "And after all, you are close companions of my liege."

Harry wrinkled his nose, but didn't bother trying to dispute this, well aware that, in part, she was teasing him. He was also well aware that she was right. He noticed Hermione give him an odd look, but she said nothing.

Just then, the whistle blew, and Harry heard his father say, "Harry! Time to go," and saw him heft Harry's trunk onto his shoulder as if it weighed as little as an empty plastic bag.

"We'd better get going," Ron said, finding his voice.

"Indeed you had," Sif said. "Are your belongings on the train?"