II

You were what they called a free spirit. Someone happy only if you could freely glide through the mountains and jump over rocks on the nearby stream. Only if you could be surrounded by those you love and free on the boundless mountains.

It was a slight miscalculation on Ayato's behalf. He should have known this would happen. He should have expected you'd have a hard time adjusting.

Just the sight of your lifeless eyes refusing to meet his own brought him nothing but pain. Some birds simply aren't meant to be caged, he supposed. His poor little songbird longed for her home and no amount of comfort and luxuries could convince her to stay. It would be wrong to keep you here...

"Darling please try to eat something, you know how hard the servants worked to prepare this for you." Everyday was a constant battle, having to plead with you just so that you'd let food enter past your lips. It was tiring. You used to be so good, so obedient and caring but now? You'd barely respond to him on good days, spending most of your time asleep in your quarters, throwing tantrums whenever the servants forced you into anything but your nightgowns.

There it was again, that blank look he'd brown so used to. Lately you've been getting much worse. Ayato understood why you were like this but he didn't know for how much longer he'd be willing to put up with this behaviour, his patience has its limits as well.

You were barely eating the rice in front of you, ignoring most of the other dishes displayed in front of you, the occasional sip of tea.