X

You were in what would be called a marriage of convenience,  neither you nor your prospective partner knew each other much but were willingly signing your lives to each other for what was often called 'the greater good'.

Helio was a cold man, polite but awfully distant. He never showed any such qualities but you had always found something about him intimidating, something about his ice cold expression and his platinum hair or his peculiar violet eyes perhaps?

"You're free to roam the house, aside from a few locked rooms and the basement you can do as you please with everything, please make yourself at home."

Those were his first words as your husband when he welcomed you into his home as his wife.

Although you thought of it as strange at first, you didn't ask, you could never bring yourself to, you had always thought your relationship was strange and you couldn't afford to marr it any further so you chose to ignore it.

Eventually you fell into a routine, the rest of the house being large enough to keep you preoccupied from thinking of those locked rooms.

You'd wake up to make Helio breakfast before he left, he had said he preferred home cooked food so you often spent your time cooking. Walk around, maybe tend the garden you both enjoyed long walks in, read and whatever else kept you preoccupied until he returned.
You'd eat dinner, chat for a bit and go to sleep. It was a simple routine but one you enjoyed nonetheless. The doubt eating away at the back of your head soon disappeared as you enjoyed a blissful life in the company of your husband.

The locked rooms later revealed to be his office and a room filled with keepsakes from his late mother.

There was only one place you didn't enter so far, the basement but you eventually forgot about it. You were content with your life so you had no wish to look beyond what you had been allowed to.

_______

The seasons changed and you soon fell pregnant. Helio had made sure you rested, opting to hire a maid to do your usual daily tasks than to risk you getting hurt.

Bored, you tried to pick up new hobbies, anything to keep you busy, it was during one of these days that bored, you decided to aimlessly wander your home.

Coming across the stairs that led to the basement you chuckled at the memories of when you used to stay awake at night pondering on what could possibly be inside.

Unconsciously walking down until you were met with a locked door.

Before you could turn away, the faint sound of muffled screams started to come from the other side of the door.
Panicked, you turned around, ready to go up when you bumped into something, or better said, someone. Looking up to find the person you least hoped to see.

"What do you think you're doing?" He demanded.

"I-."

"I thought I made it very clear that you are to stay away from here."

"That's not the problem! I heard screams coming from the basement!"

"Ah, so you heard." He said, sighing before pushing his bangs away from his face. Walking past you, towards the door, unlocking it to reveal the body of a man sprawled across the floor as he tried to fight his restraints off, visible stains of blood, old and new, splattered all across.

"W-What's the meaning of this?!" You questioned, confused more every passing second.

A sigh came out of his mouth before he continued.

"Usually I would have just gotten rid of you but I've come to quite like you so you'll do me a favor and stay quiet, right?"

You could only stand still wide-eyed as he approached the man inside, his foot setting itself on the poor man's neck as he started pressing down harder.

"For our child?" He added, offering an uncharacteristically large smile.

But it's of no use to regret the past now, especially when what has been done cannot be undone.

"Mommy, mommy!"

You turned your attention to the child in your lap, an exact replica of your husband.

"Yes, dear?"

"Look, I drew us! See? There's mommy, there's daddy, that's me and this spot is for my little sister!"

'Little sister...' a small frown appeared on your features as you