XI

Perhaps it was because he was uncostumed to such soft features, condemned to a life of hardship on the battlefield or maybe because you truly were an angel. Whatever it was, Jun was left entranced by just looking at you.
The gentle look in your eyes and your velvet soft voice, they were etched into his memory.

Of course, he never dared to approach you, someone as kind and perfect as you only deserved to look at beautiful things, not monsters like him.
It was the thought ofhis contribution securing the county from invaders, by extension ensuring your safety that got him through that horrid war.

It didn't matter what atrocities he had to commit, as long as you were safe. As long as your smile prevailed the mercenary would continue forward.

But when he heard the news that the count, your father, was going to pawn you off along with some properties and money to whoever won his tournament, everything fell apart for him. He would shred all of those dirty bastards that dared to touch you.
Of course this meant that he would have to win the tournaments, that he would end up being the one to marry you in their stead, he who was just as dirty, just as evil, but the thought of your smile fading by the hands of one of those barbarians, to be turned into little more than a breeding horse and slave to them, he hated it, the image of their dirty hands on your pristine form angered him to no end.

You looked beautiful even as your fate hung in the hands of deprived soldiers simply dreaming to ruin you, Jun thought.

'But you don't have to worry, I won't let them lay their hands on you.' He thought to himself as he walked to the barracks where all the other contestants were.

"Did you even see the count's daughter? No whore I've ever met could compare to her." One of them said as the others laughed along.

'Those bastards— I'll kill them. I'll kill them all!'

And truth be told, he did fulfill his word, no knight faced against him came out unscathed