Chapter 6

It was a rush for Shay to make dinner with her family on time because she had to go across town to get to Sawyer's house. They rarely ate out as a family because they drew too much attention. Her parents, Reyna and Carson, refused to own property in New York, and Sullivan's house was an atrocious abomination to all who entered.

Shay thought that perhaps now that Sullivan was engaged, his finance, Ophelia, would make a better home for them.

"Hello, Momma," Shay greeted her mother with a kiss on the cheek as Ophelia led the way into the living room.

Sawyer had always had excellent taste, and his brownstone proved it. The historical wood gleamed under the glow of soft lamps, and the plush couches and chairs that were early 20th century in design invited one to sit and chat. There was also no television to be seen which made one feel that they were in another era.

Shay knew for a fact that Sawyer had restored the 1920s brownstone down to the last detail, which included a pink bathroom. Shay had teased him about being in touch with his feminine side, and he had assured her that he had done it so Sullivan would feel more at home.

"Hello dear," Reyna said, accepting the kiss before scanning her daughter. "Something's different," she insisted, making everyone turn to look at Shay.

"Her tail is well hidden, Momma," Sawyer teased, "and the horns didn't grow back."

"Haha," Shay said, accepting the glass of wine her brother handed her.

Her father, Carson, who was called Pops, glided into the room and looked at them all while holding a large butcher knife in his hand. "I must insist that you keep the noise down, people. A great chef must be able to focus on his masterpiece."

They all turned to look at Pops, a method actor who lived his parts, and after a moment of silence, he nodded and left the room again.

"Let me guess, he's playing a chef," Shay said as she sat next to her mother.

"Yes, but Momma has plenty of kitchen help to ensure he doesn't burn the house down." Sawyer smiled as he joined them.

"Is that where Ophelia snuck off to?" Shay asked, noticing that she had disappeared as soon she had let Shay into the house.

"Either that or she went to tell Sully you're here. He's probably hanging out in the pink bathroom again." Sawyer smirked. He wasn't one to let a good joke go.

"I was actually talking to the distributor about the upcoming launch of the movie we shot at Oak Island," Sullivan said as he entered the room. "I'm trying to further all of our careers."

"Yes, dear. It's good of you to do," Reyna assured him as she continued to eye Shay.

"What?" Shay insisted as she turned to look at her mother.

"What's happened?" Reyna's eyes narrowed.

"I got a promotion at work," Shay boasted a little.

"You met a man." Sullivan's voice was unimpressed and matter of fact.

Shay spun to look at him, shocked that he had picked up on her recent flirtation, and a flirtation was all that it was, she silently reminded herself. Sullivan had always been a master at reading people. It was what made him such a good director.

"She did!" Sawyer exclaimed as he watched Shay's reaction.

"My Pookie has a boyfriend?" Pops said as she stuck his head around the corner.

"I thought you were in the kitchen cooking!" Shay accused. "And you've never called me Pookie in your life!"

"Phee is putting out the fire," Pops explained, waving his hand in the air like it was a nonevent while Sullivan jumped up and rushed toward the kitchen to save Ophelia.