Chapter 22

Nate and Shay arrived at the restaurant and were immediately escorted to the table. As they approached, Shay noticed Danica sitting across from Martin and laughing at something he said as she laid her hand on top of his.

"You don't think..." Shay asked, looking between the younger woman and the much older man.

"No, I don't. Danica has been one of my father's favorites because her father went to school with him. My guess is that either he ran into her here when he arrived, or he called her from the car and told her to get over here in a hurry." Nate whispered back.  "This isn't going to be pleasant. Do you want me to take you home?" Nate stopped her before they reached the table.

Shay swallowed hard, knowing that it would be hell. She knew what catty women were like because she had dealt with enough of them growing up in L.A.

"It'll be fine," she insisted as she gave Nate a tense smile. She didn't want to mention that Danica had almost recognized her several times before, but perhaps it would be a good thing in this instance. It wasn't as if she worked for Nate anymore.

Nate gave her a worried frown before he nodded and walked with her to the table, thanking the hostess as they were seated.

"Danica, this is Nate's latest friend, Shelly," Martin said with a narrowing of his eyes.

Nate opened his mouth to correct his father on Shay's name, but Shay reached out, grabbing his arm to stop him.

"We've met. She's Nate's secretary," Danica said in a stage whisper.

"Nate!" Martin crowed. "I didn't think you had it in you, boy! Although, it will get awkward when it's over. Trust me, I speak from experience," Martin winked at Shay.

The waiter saved anyone from having to answer as he took their drink order.

The next half hour was taken up with light chatter and ordering food. No one was paying Shay any attention, which was fine with her. It was better to be ignored than be a target.

Nate kept brushing her arm or leg, letting her know that he was close, and Shay was enjoying the freedom of touching him back. She hoped that they would return to his apartment and pick up where they left off when they were through with dinner.

"Nate and I are going to the New York premiere of Sullivan Richard's new movie. I secured the tickets over a month ago. It's the event of the season." Danica looked over at Nate and smiled.

Nate tensed, and Shay would bet her last dollar he had forgotten all about it.

"These events are very hard to get into, Shelly, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that since you take care of Nate's schedule for him." Danica looked Shay over as she sipped her wine.

"Oh, I do. I take care of many things for Nate," Shay nodded all innocence. Just because she didn't like to deal with catty didn't mean she didn't know how.

Nate cleared his throat next to her as he took a sip of his wine.

"We'll make a night of it, shall we?" Danica asked Nate.

"I don't think-" Nate began, but the arrival of a very famous person at the door caught everyone's attention, and he stopped talking.

Paloma Clark had entered in a swirl of gold fabric. She always did know how to make an entrance. The beautiful fabric of the dress was the perfect foil for her olive skin tone and golden hair.

Everyone watched as the hostess rushed over to greet her.

There was a lot of shaking of heads and hand gesturing, making everyone stare more.