Chapter 8

Shay had survived her first week on the road.

Ellen had told her to pack something simple for the reception, so she chose a black dress with a boat neck, three-quarter length sleeves, and an A-line skirt that fell just below her knees. Overall, it was a modest dress that she felt suited the occasion.

The reception was being held in one of the hotel's ballrooms. It was a large room with a garishly gold motif, and mirrors covered one of the sidewalls, making one feel twice as many people surrounded them.

Even though Shay and Nate were sharing a suite of rooms, Nate always managed to be out the door before she was ready, and as a result, she would meet him in the lobby and they would ride to the office in the hired car together. Shay couldn't help but wonder if Nate and Ellen operated in the same way or if he was treating her differently because of their attraction.

Although, she was beginning to think that she had imagined their attraction because Nate was never anything but professional. He hadn't even given her the third degree about the phone conversation he had heard her and Sawyer having.

When Shay arrived, Nate was already at the reception, and her eyes naturally scanned the crowd looking for him, only to find him cornered by Jolene. Having decided not to drink, Shay wandered over to the bar and asked for water with an olive. It was a trick that her mother had taught her. It gave the illusion of drinking while not actually drinking. 

It was only a moment before Nate joined her, asking for water as well, as he eyed her drink with a raised eyebrow.

"Relax, it's water," she assured him. "The olive is for appearances."

"If you hear anything about Seaton, let me know," he said before wandering away before she could ask any questions about what was happening with Seaton.

Shay had noticed that most people avoided her whenever possible, and it made her realize that Ellen hadn't been joking when she had told her that she was glad to have someone to eat with at lunch. The lonely meals were starting to wear on her. Most nights, Shay ordered room service and ate as she worked, but lunches were a different matter.

When Amanda and another young girl joined Shay at the table she was standing at, she smiled in welcome, glad to not have to stand by herself. Oh, she could join a group, but she had noticed that they all seemed to switch to talking about the weather or a local sports team when she did.

"Shay, this is Caroline. She is a receptionist for the company," Amanda introduced.

"Hello Caroline, it's nice to meet you." Shay nodded and smiled again.

"Are you excited to be going home?" Amanda asked as she sipped her glass of wine.

"I wish! We're headed to Denver next week," Shay informed them. "Then Seattle, L.A., Austin, and finally Atlanta. I won't get to sleep in my own bed for over a month.

"You get to go to all of those places?" Caroline asked with wide eyes.

"Yes, but only to work. I haven't seen one attraction in Chicago, and if the workload is as heavy there as it is here, all I will see is an office and hotel room." Shay didn't want them to think she was on a pleasure trip.

"What's it like getting to work so closely with Mr. Wright?" Caroline asked in a soft voice that was hard to hear as she stared at Nate in the mirror.

"Hard." Shay laughed. "I'm only his temporary assistant until his regular one gets back from maternity leave. I normally work in accounting."

The other two women looked at her with shock, and Shay realized it was the opening she needed.

"How did you land the job?" Caroline asked in awe.