Chapter 15

On Sunday night, Shay arrived at LouLou and Nate's apartment building right one time. At least Shay assumed it was Nate's apartment building. No one had told her that it was, but LouLou had known who he was, which implied that he was at least there regularly.

As Shay exited her cab, it was automatically hailed by a tuxedo-clad Nate.

Shay couldn't help but think that he looked important in the fancy evening gear that he wore as well as everything else that he owned. It brought to mind that he had worn a tux on his date with Corey, and Shay wondered if that was who he was on his way to meet.

"Is there another emergency?" he asked with a frown as he stopped in front of her, placing his hand on the cab's door to hold it.

He was so close it forced Shay to look up at him and her breath caught at his nearness.

"No," she shook her head. "Was the last one an actual emergency?"

"Yes, I have to fly to Atlanta tomorrow and take care of Brody Peyton. Your guess was right that he would cause problems, but it was sooner rather than later." Nate informed her as he looked up at the apartment building. "Why are you here?"

"LouLou invited me to dinner. She's a fan of my mother." Shay forced herself to step away from the cab and Nate, who gave a small smile at her news.

"I'm sure she's a fan of you as well. She doesn't invite just anyone to dinner. In fact, she disapproves of most people." Nate ducked into the cab. "I'm sure you'll enjoy your evening." He reached for something and handed it to her. "Don't forget these. Flowers are a wise choice. She loves them."

"Thanks, I almost forgot them." Shay took the flowers, thinking it was probably the closest she would ever get to having Nate give her flowers.

He nodded and closed the cab door. Shay stepped away and forced herself to climb the steps and turn the knob to the apartment building. She liked LouLou fine, but she wished it was Nate that she was having dinner with instead.

LouLou must have been watching them from her window because she was standing in the hall when Shay arrived on her floor.

"Are those for me!" she exclaimed as she reached for the flowers.

"They are," Shay smiled at her excitement.

"Come in and make yourself at home, please," LouLou said as she led the way into the apartment and closed the door behind her.

It smelled delicious, and Shay suddenly realized that she was hungry.

The apartment was an open floor design with the living room and kitchen in the central area and what appeared to be a bathroom and bedroom off to the right. Everything looked new and modern with no expense spared.

"This is a lovely apartment, LouLou," Shay said as she wandered over to look at some of her knick-knacks on the shelves surrounding the large television.

"Thank you, Nathan fixed it up for me a few years ago. He takes such good care of us." LouLou smiled as she arranged the flowers.

"Does he?" Shay asked, hoping for more details.

"Yes, he bought this building about five years ago. It was in deplorable shape, which is why the rent was so low. We are all older and on fixed incomes, but we could afford it. When Nathan moved in, we were worried about a rent increase, but not only did he keep the rent the same, he has slowly been fixing up the place. He's the best landlord I've ever had." LouLou placed the flowers in the middle of the dining table. "He lives on the top floor, and if we need anything, no matter how small, he takes care of it. Last week Ernie needed a ride to the doctor, and Nathan made sure that there was a car here to take him."