Chapter 28 (The End)

Shay and Phee were up with the sun, watching Elyse do all her pre-checks for the flight. They stood silently together as she walked around the helicopter, making notes on a clipboard.

"How long will it take, do you think?" Shay asked.

Both women had their arms crossed as they watched.

Phee shrugged. "In the past, she is always back right before sundown, but she'll have Sawyer with her this time."

Shay smiled. "That would be enough to make me want to get back as soon as possible."

They were both silent as they watched Elyse finish, load up, start the giant machine, and watch her lift off. It would be a long day for all three ladies for very different reasons.

Shay and Phee had breakfast together, then headed to the office to stay busy until Elyse returned. It was just past four o'clock when Bradly decided to stop by and say hello.

"I hear we have some famous visitors coming today," he said as she perched on the edge of Shay's desk.

"Did you?" Shay asked as she picked up some filing and moved away from where he was sitting.

"I did," he grinned, not put off in the least that she was giving him the cold shoulder. "You don't like me much, do you?" he asked.

Shay was saved from having to respond by the vibration of a helicopter.

"They're here!" she grinned as she dropped her files and raced to the area behind the buildings where the helicopter always landed. Phee was right on her heels, and Bradly and a few of the other workers all made their way out a little more slowly.

Elyse set the machine down gently, and they listened to the gentle whine the helicopter made as it powered down. Phee and Shay were trying to see in the windows to verify who was on board. When the door opened, they both moved forward. The first to get off was Sawyer, who smiled and waved before turning to help his parents down from their seats.

Shay didn't miss the appreciative giggles and murmurs that passed between the rest of the female staff at the sight of her brother. She took a moment to look over at Bradly and noticed him frown at the sudden competition.

Reyna and Pops moved toward the little greeting committee, hugging and kissing Phee and Shay before asking to be introduced to the others. Shay made the introductions because the moment Phee spotted Sullivan, she was off like a shot.

After the introductions were made, Shay looked back toward the helicopter and noted that Phee was clinging to Sullivan, and Sawyer and Nate were walking toward her.

Sawyer hugged Shay. "We brought you your Nate. He doesn't talk much, does he?"

Shay shook her head as she met Nate's eyes over her brother's shoulder.

"Go on, I'll introduce myself to the others." He grinned down at her.

Shay grinned back, then turned toward Nate and rushed him, wrapping her arms around him and pulling him close.

"I missed you!" she whispered when he dropped his bag and pulled her close.

He looked at her intently for a moment as if he was memorizing her face. "I missed you too," he responded before capturing her lips with his own.

Shay melted into him as she kissed him back.

"I love you," she said when they broke apart.

A smile lit up his face. "I n-needed to hear th-that. I love you too. Is there somewhere we can go to talk?" he asked, looking around at everyone who was now watching them.