Chapter 8

A/N
Sorry for the late update, school is destroying me. Hope you'll enjoy this chapter. Also for this chapter listen to "It's nice to have a friend" by Taylor Swift.
Oh and, if like this chapter please vote and comment;) I love seeing your comments.

And also, Eid Mubarak.
~~~

After they finished lunch Hope went back to Josie's apartment, saying that she's had enough of Mystic Falls for today and also because it had started to rain. And Josie went back to work hoping that her brain will stop worrying about Hope now that she's home. But no, of course not. Why would her brain choose being sane over anything else!
One moment Josie was putting a poetry collection by Emily Dickinson on the shelf and the next she was thinking about Hope.

Josie and Hope knew each other but they weren't really friends until Josie's parents separated.
When word about their separation got out Hope was the only one who treated her normally. She didn't ask Josie where her mother was or if her father looked after her or not or was it true that both of her parents had cheated on each other (they didn't, sometimes things just don't work out). She just sat beside Josie every day when no one else would.

Josie still remembers the day she and Hope became friends.
The sun was scorching hot that day. On lunch break a girl comes up to Josie's desk, "You know Josie, I never thought of you as a bathroom stall kind of gal."
"What?"
"Oh we all know you and Jason had sex in the boys bathroom." Said the girl.
Josie couldn't say anything. She just stood there stunned. She didn't even know who this Jason was.The girl was saying something, but Josie couldn't focus, her vision was going blurry from anger. Josie had gotten used to the wild rumors but sometimes people truly manage to surprise her. Another familiar voice cuts in,"Rose, don't you have something better to do than listen to useless gossip? Why don't you go study for once?" Before the girl could say anything else the other person—Hope, Josie's deskmate— grabbed Josie's wrist and led her outside.

"What are you doing?" Asked Josie. She didn't need her deskmate to rescue her. "You're welcome." Hope said, "You looked like you were about to punch her. She deserved it, but you would've gotten in trouble for it."

"I wasn't about to punch her." Said Josie.
"Liar." Hope muttered, Josie decided to ignore it. Yes, she was thinking about punching Rose, what about it? She would have done it if Hope hadn't interrupted. "Why do you care if I get in trouble? You don't know me." Josie said. Hope sat beside her every day for a year but they rarely talked to each other.

"Well, I don't want you to get in trouble for something so silly. I like you. And also, I do know you. We've been sitting together for months. It's not my fault that you choose to ignore me." Hope replied, bluntly.
Josie was a little stunned by the answer. She looked at Hope, like actually looked at her. Just like Josie didn't talk to Hope much, she didn't look at Hope much either. Her eyes are so blue!
Shut up. "I'm ignoring everyone right now. And, how was I supposed to know you like me? You never tried to talk to me either."

"How was I going to talk to you, when you look like that?!" Hope points at Josie.
"Like what?" Josie frowned.
"Nothing." Said Hope, shaking her head. "Did you eat lunch? Let's eat lunch together." Before Josie could say no Hope dragged her towards the auditorium building.
They ate lunch behind the auditorium. Hope didn't talk much, so Josie took the time to observe her. Pretty eyes, so very blue. They reminded Josie of a line from her favorite poem "Still in her eyes, the Violets lie." This line is her favorite because she never quite understood it. She never saw that beauty in anyone's eyes. But Now, Josie could see at least a little bit of the beauty Dickinson wrote about.
"Thanks." Josie blurted out. "For…what you did earlier. And also for having lunch with me. You know, I like you too. Would you...um...want to have lunch together from now on? Like friends?"

"Yes!" Hope squeaked, then cleared her throat and said: "yeah, I'd like that."
Josie grinned,"Awesome."
Hope smiled at her too, flashing all her teeths and her eyes crinkled. Josie thought that was the most simile in the world.

And after that day they were inseparable. They went to school together every morning, had lunch together and returned from school together. They spent countless nights together, when Josie's parents were away and Hope's mom was working late. Josie was beside Hope when she woke up in the middle of the night screaming or crying because of nightmares. Hope held Josie's hand through the worst conversations with people, grounded her.
Through the years Hope became Josie's best and only friend. Hope was the one. The one who stood up for her. The one who cared about her. Hope became one of the people Josie cared for. She became one of the few people Josie loved.

And then Hope became one of the many people who broke Josie's heart.