Chapter 11

"Josie, we should get going. It's getting dark." Hope said, Josie was sitting next to her on a tree trunk. "You scared?" Josie smirked. Hope glared at her, Josie grinned. Glaring Hope is the cutest.
"If I trip and twist my ankle, you are carrying me back."

Suddenly Josie was picturing Hope's arms around her neck, her hand on Hope's waist, their faces so close Josie could feel Hope's breath on her neck. Josie Saltzmen, stop!
Josie shook her head, "Alright, alright. Let's go." Josie gets up, Hope follows and they start walking. Hope grabbed her hand and Josie froze.

Am I day dreaming again? Over the years, when Josie came on a walk alone she imagined Hope was there. And they walk together, hand in hand.
Now she couldn't help but wonder, if this was all just her mind playing cruel tricks. 

Hope dropped her hand, Josie didn't know what Hope was thinking but she knew her freezing up like that had hurt Hope. She was trying to hide it but Josie knew. She wanted to reach out and take Hope's hand back but she couldn't. Her body wasn't listening to her. It was moving on its own just like it did a while ago when they'd hugged. No matter how hard she tries to keep her breathing in check, whenever Hope is too close she forgets to breathe. It's weird.
"I'm…sorry," Hope said quietly. "Too far."
"No, I'm sorry. It's not your fault, Hope."
"C'mon let's go, I'm tired. Can we watch a movie when we get back?" Hope said, ignoring Josie's excuse. Even Josie knew she was being a little ridiculous. They'd hugged a few moments ago, holding hands shouldn't be a problem.
"Sure," Josie replied.

~~~

"What do you want for dinner?" Josie asked when they got back.
"Uh, make whatever you want, I'm fine with anything really. I'll go pick a movie to watch." Hope left for the bedroom before Josie could say anything.
She decided to make ramen. It was easy, quick and delicious. She'd perfected making ramen during her first year of college, she used to make it almost everyday. But after getting lectured by Lizzie for an entire year, she has reduced her intake.

"So, what are we watching?" Josie said as she walked into the bedroom with two bowls of ramen in her hand.
"Get out," Hope said, after seeing Josie's reaction she added "We are watching Get out. Have you seen it before?"
Hope should know that Josie hasn't because it's a freaking horror movie. Josie  liked her horror on the page, not the screen. "No," Josie replied, "I've heard great things about it though. But let's eat first?"
"Yeah, let's eat," Hope said enthusiastically, apparently she was planning to enjoy watching Josie suffer. But oh well, at least Hope isn't upset.

There was a comfortable distance between Josie and Hope as they started watching Get out on Hope's laptop.  Twenty minutes into the movie Josie wondered if racism is the horror because she was unsettled, she wanted to get inside the screen and slap the dad. Josie had braced herself for jumpscares but not this. It was a good movie so far.
They were almost at the end, when the dad opened up someone's brain. They were showing it all. Josie wanted to vomit. Instead she clutched Hope's hand tightly. After a few seconds she realized what she was doing, Hope looked at her for a while but didn't take her hand back. So Josie held on.

~~~
A/N

I'm sooo sorry for not updating. Life has just been hectic. Between handling school, family problems and a huge crush on a straight girl I didn't have much time to write 😅. I will try to update more frequently though.

Thank you for reading ❤️