Chapter 23

“I think a part of me will always love you, Penelope. A part of me will always care for you.”  Josie's words were echoing in her head as Hope ran back to her room. When it was getting a bit too late, Hope headed out to find Josie. She felt guilty for her behavior. So, she was going to find her and apologize but when she reached the lake…. Josie was sitting beside Penelope. They were holding hands. She didn't realize when she had started crying, the image of Josie's hands in Penelope's was burned into her mind. They looked so perfect, like two lovers who were destined to be together. They were perfect, she was the other girl. Hope let sniffle, she won't be the other girl anymore. Josie was never meant to be with her. Josie would never choose her, she will never love her the way Hope loved her. All those flirty moments and tension didn't mean anything. Hope was foolish to think anything could happen between them.
This was just a dream, one she will be out of in two days. That's all it'll be, a blissful dream. Hope will have to go back to her life and Josie will go back to hers. They'll part ways again. Even if they promised to stay in touch, time erases everything, their friendship will get erased as well. Hope will have to accept this. She will have to bury these feelings again and hopefully, this time they will die. Maybe this was her destiny, to fall in love with someone she will never have. Maybe she was destined to wallow in her loneliness forever. Maybe romantic love just wasn't meant for her.

Maybe she didn't need romantic love.

~~~

“So, how did she come back?” Penelope asks curiously.
“Oh, long story. But we are friends again.” Josie smiled, Penelope came in a few months after Hope left. Josie was still not over her best friend leaving out of nowhere and Penelope had helped her cope. After Hope's departure Josie had become a shell of herself, she was uninterested in anything that was not work and college. But then Penelope came in and Josie started smiling again. Penelope was the kind of person who makes friends everywhere she goes. The way she looked at her favorite book, would make you wish that you were that book. The way she wrote, would make you wish it was you she was writing about. Her dark eyes could look straight into Josie’s soul, even now. Penelope was the first person who really understood her, after Hope.
“Did you tell her?” Penelope inquired.
“Yes, I did tell her about us.” Josie said, “She’s been acting all weird after I told her. She was saying that I was still in love with you.” Joise huffed. “Well you did just admit that.” Penelope shrugged then smacked her “And you Josie Saltzmen are as dumb as ever, she is jealous.” Josie laughed in disbelief, “Why would she be jealous?” Then it hits her, “Oh! She's been like this after I told her about you. But still, what's there to be jealous about?” Penelope smacked her own forehead this time, “She likes you. It's as clear as day. How do you not see it?” Josie burst out laughing,“ Alright, let's not joke about this. Just because I told you how I felt doesn't mean you get to crack jokes about it, even if they're quite funny.” Penelope gave her a serious look,“ You don't see how she looks at you but I do. She likes you. If you don't believe me then ask her.”
“She doesn't like me, if she did, she wouldn't have left like that. She would've said something.” Josie said, “I know Hope, she would never want to be with someone like me. She is fun and outgoing, she's like you and someone would have to match her energy to be with her. And that someone is definitely not me. I've always known this and I've accepted it.”
Penelope sighed, “I can't make you see something you don't want to see.”

~~~

Hope had cried herself to sleep last night. She got up to see that Josie was passed out on the couch. Everything came crashing back to her. It's fine, she could get through these two days and then it's done.
She'll go back to normal. She got up and changed out of her pjs. When she got out of the bathroom Josie was also awake. “Good morning.” Josie said, giving her a soft smile.
“Morning.”Hope replied without looking in her direction.“We should head for breakfast. Your family is probably waiting.” Joise yawned, “Right, let's go.”
They walked into the dining room and every one was there, except for Penelope and Kevin. Hope and Josie sat together, when Penelope came in she took the empty spot beside Hope. “Good morning, Jojo.” Penelope said, giving her a smile. Josie returned her smile, “Morning, Penelope. Where's your boyfriend?”
“Oh, he is sleeping in today. Apparently, he is too tired from all the driving. But we both divided the diving time.”
“You let people oversleep now? Belgium really has changed you.” Josie mocked. Hope cleared her throat. “Good morning, Hope.” Penelope said, with a genuine looking smile. “I don't think we properly got to talk last night. It's nice to meet you, finally. I've heard a lot about you.” Of course Josie's ex would know about her, “I’m guessing none of it was good.” Hope faked a laugh, “It’s nice to meet you too. Can't say that I've heard about you. But I'm glad that Josie had such good friends while I was away.”
“Oh, that's all thanks to you. If you hadn't left, Josie wouldn't have even given me a second look. Isn't that true, Josie?” Penelope smirked. Josie rolled her eyes, “You really can't have a conversation without triggering someone. Old habits die hard I guess.” Penelope laughed. Hope couldn't handle their little banter. This was all too much, “Excuse me.” Hope politely got up from the table and headed outside. She felt bad for Kevin. She couldn't believe that Josie would do something like that. But she had seen them with her own eyes and heard them.

When Hope returned to the dining room everyone had gone back to their room. She found Josie reading at the table. There was still breakfast laid out in front of her. Hope cleared her throat and Josie looked up. Without saying a single word she began serving breakfast onto two plates. “You waited for me?”

~~~

Of course she waited, Hope hated eating alone. Even though Hope was being annoying and won't even speak to Josie properly, that doesn't mean Josie would stop caring. “I wasn't feeling hungry.” Josie shrugged. “Everyone is going swimming in a while, you wanna join?”
“I don't really have any swimwear. It's fine I'll just stay in the room, I have to work on my art project.”
“I think you should come, I have an extra swimsuit, you can use that. And it'll be good for your project too, maybe you'll find some inspiration in nature.” Josie shrugged. Hope pondered for a few seconds, “Fine.”
Josie grinned, “You’re gonna have so much fun! Let's get you in that swimsuit, come on.” Maybe this will bring her Hope back.

~~~

A/N

Don't get used to me updating regularly. I'm just procrastinating instead of studying for my very important exam. Thank you for reading. And I'm sorry for how the chapter started ;)