Chapter 9

The next day Hope woke up in Josie's bed… alone, of course. She got up from the bed and washed her face and went to the kitchen.
It's 8 already so she thought Josie's probably done having breakfast by now but when she walked into the kitchen Josie was still in her pajamas, hurriedly making breakfast. "Good morning," Hope said, her voice still sounding a little groggy. "Are you not going to work today?"
Josie didn't even look over her shoulder she just said, "No, I'm late!"
"Oh, go get changed, don't you have to be there by 8:30? Go, I'll make breakfast."
"No it's fine,"
"Why can't you just let me do it? You don't always have to do everything. Go." Hope said sternly.
Josie sighed, "Okay."

~~~

It feels weird. Not good, it's weird having someone around in the morning. No one stays over at Josie's place that often. Even with her partners things were never that serious to stick around for breakfast, well… except for one. Penelope. She is probably somewhere in Belgium, making all her dreams come true.

Josie shook her head and went to get changed. There is no point in thinking about the past, even though she feels stuck there most of the time. It's the trying that matters. And Josie is trying hard to keep her thoughts in check.
"Josie, you ready?" Hope called out from the living room.
"Yep," Josie replied. "Coming."

~~~

Josie was talking to a customer when her phone started ringing. It was Tuesday so dad is probably calling to let her know that he can't make it today and that sorry. That's how it goes on most weeks. And it's funny because dad was the one who wanted to go on weekly walks in the first place, calling it "bonding time". Josie knew nine times out of ten he wasn't going to make it, he is always busy. But she goes along with it because at least he is trying.
"Hi, Dad."
"Hi, Jo, How are you?"
"Fine, are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm good. I just suddenly have to go to a meeting, so sorry I can't go on the walk today." Josie isn't disappointed anymore, she is just used to this.
"I understand, it's okay."
"Thank you sweetheart, I promise next week I'll be there." He said that last week as well.

"Who are you talking to?" Mei said, walking into the room.
"Dad."
"Oh it's Tuesday already?"
"I don't understand why he bothers calling anymore." Josie lets out a bitter laugh.
"Probably feels guilty," Mei shrugged. "Anyway, since you are not going, could you—"
"Who said I'm not going? I'm going. I'm going on a walk with Hope." Josie said cutting Mei off mid sentence. 
"Who is Hope?" Mei frowned.
"The friend who's staying with me."
"Ah, okay. Go on a walk with your friend." Mei said, walking away. Josie could hear Mei whisper under her breath, "It always starts with a walk." Josie wanted to argue but she just sighed because Mei is right.

~~~

A/N

Hi! Sorry for being so late, exams are starting so I've been busy studying.
This chapter is a little shorter than usual but hope you'll like it. Pray for me so that I pass my exams and be able to update soon.
And also I will not tolerate any Posie or Penelope slander in the comments.

Oh and, do you guys like Mei? Let me know.

Bye:)