Chapter 16: End of the Cursed Prince

𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕾𝖎x𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

OᑌᖇS TᑌᖇᑎE ITO ᗪᗩYS, which blurred into weeks until we had been out on sea for a month and a half tracking down the second amplifier. The tension was growing between Mal and Aleksander. Mal was trying his best, but the Darkling did not seem to think so. Two days ago, he had accused Mal of holding back because he didn't want me to have another amplifier. There was friction building between all of us. Aleksander's Heartrenders formed a habit of taunting the whaler's crewmembers. Of course, they did not take it well and multiple fights were broken up.

My mission was not exactly going well either. After seven weeks, I still knew nothing about Sturmhond. I became closer with his crew—or tried to—in order to learn whatever I could about the captain. Most of them told me to bug off, but Tamar, and who I learned was her twin brother Tolya with the matching golden eyes, seemed interested in talking with me. Tolya was intense and reserved, and both of them were fiercely loyal to their captain.

"How much do you really know about Sturmhond?" I asked the twins as they were doing their regular duties one morning.

Tolya glanced back at Tamar as he trimmed the sails to take advantage of the full gusts of morning wind. Tamar looked over at Sturmhond, who was up at the wheel conversing with Mal and pointing to the east. "When our mother died, we escaped to Novyi Zem. We survived alone there for a while, but it was rough. Refugees are not always welcomed with open arms, you know." Being half Shu, I understood and was well aware of how cruel people could be. "Sturmhond saved us. He gave us a job on his ship and a warm bed. He would do anything to protect his crew, and that is all we need to know." Tamar walked away, and I knew I had hit a wall. They were too devoted to him. Even if they knew something, there was no chance that they would reveal anything confidential about Sturmhond.

I rested against the railing, and once Tolya finished with the sails, he perched beside me. I was not sure what he was meaning to say to me, but what he said left me shocked. Tolya looked down with his sharp golden eyes and muttered, "My sister may not see it, but I know what you are doing, and you should stop now." I gaped at him, unsure of what to say. "I get that you don't trust Sturmhond, but he is a good man. Digging around in another man's past never has a good outcome. Learn to leave well enough alone."

He walked away, leaving me frozen in place. Was that a threat? I wondered. But I did not think so. I think he was just warning me to let go of my curiosity. Maybe I should. We all have a messy past, and sometimes it is better to leave things be. From the information I had gathered so far, I knew that Sturmhond was a fierce but sometimes gentle pirate. He took care of his crew and gave me a jacket when I was cold. As Tolya said, he is a good man, and I should leave it that way.

My thoughts were drowned out by the sounds of Mal and Aleksander quarreling again. Some of the men rolled their eyes because this was a daily occurrence, but I could tell both of them were at their last straw.

"I brought you here to track. If you can't do that, there is no use having you aboard this ship. I would be glad to throw you off myself."

"You are asking me to track a myth!"

"How many times do I have to put it in that small otkazat'sya head of yours? Morozova's amplifiers are not a myth, just as the Stag and Sun Summoner were not a myth."

"Well, a big, white deer is one thing, but an Ice Dragon? Really?"

Their fighting was giving me a headache, not to mention a high-pitched ringing noise had begun in my ears.