Chapter 3 - Beginnings of The Vengeful

I don't know what time it was when I... woke up, I guess. I could feel the sun shining on my face through the entrance of the cave, yet I couldn't open my eyes. I could hear birds singing, a river in the distance, the soft crackle of the embers of the torches, and leaves rustling in the wind. I waited a while before waking up Rainbow. I don't think he really slept while planning things in the grey abyss, and we did stay up late into the night. Then, I attempted to get Rainbow to start the day. We had a lot ahead of us.

"Rainbow." I say. "Rainbow, wake up. We got stuff to do."

I hear Rainbow shift around above me. "Noooo..."

Alrighty then. Time for the big guns. I brace myself for the incoming jumpscare, and;

"RAINBOW!"

I hear him hit his head on the top of the carved-out section above me. "I'M UP! I'M UP!" He jumps down from the bunk. "What the heck, dude?!"

"I got bored waiting for you to wake up." I said. "Besides, we got stuff to do today, remember?"

Rainbow gets excited. "Oh, right! Thanks buddy!"

I feel Rainbow grab my arm, and my eyes open. Just like yesterday, Rainbow begins puppeteering my body to move. He leads me over to the middle of the cave, and goes to look through the chests again.

"Let's see if we have any food in here..." he says.

He roots around in the chests for a while, not finding anything. Then, in the fifth and final chest, he pulls something out.

"There's a cake in this one!" Rainbow exclaims.

"Wouldn't it be bad by now?" I ask. Since everything is worn down, hasn't everything in this cave been here a while?

"No, it's perfectly fine!" Rainbow says, walking back over in front of me. "Look!"

He holds out a perfectly preserved cake. Hard to believe it's not rotted away. Maybe this cave isn't as old as we thought?

"Huh, well would you look at that. It is." I say.

We sit down, and Rainbow takes two pieces off the cake, and hands one to me. Since we're both doing the same thing, Rainbow makes me copy him instead of puppeteering. Cake is always a good breakfast. When we finish, I manage to smile at him slightly.

"Looks like you can do expressions, a little." He says, smiling back.

"Yeah, it's difficult, though."

"Don't worry, maybe if you practice doing things, we could get you back to normal!"

"Heh, thanks bud."

We both get up, and Rainbow grabs my arm again so he makes sure I follow him out of the cave. As we exit, we get to have a better look at the surroundings of our new base. Before, we were kind of rushing to find somewhere safe while it was raining, so we didn't really stop to look around. The small cave entrance is surrounded by long grass and tall flower bushes, beautiful dark oak trees, and vines climbing along the branches above. Some are even covered in colorful blooms. There's a small river to our right, with fish jumping out of the water occasionally. Morning dew left over from the storm covers everything.

 Morning dew left over from the storm covers everything