Chapter 9 - Recollection and Regret

[Rainbow's POV]

As I sit on the cliff overhanging our cave, I can't help but feel bad for what I did to Sabre a few weeks ago. I don't know why I did it, or how, I just... panicked.

I woke up that night to the sound of the door being moved, and I knew it wasn't one of us, so I climbed down from my bunk and hid in a shadowy corner before they got inside. As the door opened, I saw it was a Colorless Guard. I don't know how he found out where the door was, but we were in danger.

He stepped inside, and I stayed quiet and perfectly still in the corner. He looked around, and saw the other three in their bunks. Making his way over, I noticed he pulled out a dagger, and I soon found out what for. The Colorless Guard soon stood over Dark, who was still asleep. The dagger was held over Dark's throat...

The Guard was going to kill him.

Next thing I knew, I had the Guard in a chokehold and was fighting to make him pass out. I didn't stop, out of fear of the safety of my friends. Soon, he collapsed, the dagger never leaving his hand. Good, it won't make any noise. I turned my head to check that everyone was alright, and... Sabre was somehow awake. I could tell by the look in his eye that he was scared, I don't know if it was of me or the Guard. I quickly rushed over and covered his eye, so he didn't have to look at it. I know I didn't kill our intruder, but it must've looked that way. I tried to calm Sabre down, and at first I thought I was, but then I noticed the Crystal powers I have were being used. On him. It was too late to go back by then, as Sabre was already mostly out, so I did what I did on our second night when he saw me leaving.

"Forget."

This way he'd never know about the break-in, and I could get rid of the problem easily. I didn't want to, it just... happened by accident. I know how to control my powers better now, so that'll never happen again. I hated doing that, I really did, because it kind of felt like how Void would use the Darkness to corrupt people.

...I don't want to turn out like him. I want to be a real hero, like everyone used to expect me to be. And right now, being that hero needs me to do what I need to in order to protect my friends... to protect them from the Kingdom.

Seeing the Leaders act the way they did was shocking, especially how the Orange Leader did basically nothing to stop people from hurting Sabre. I had known him all my life, and he never stood for that nonsense, so why now would he turn a blind eye? Was it because Sabre wasn't one of them, or something else? ...I don't know. All I know now is that I can't trust my own people now. Well, I guess I was never really one of them, either. I'm a being made of orange crystal, technically not a real Steve either, kind of like how Dark was lab-created or how Time is a half of another being. Mostly one of the normals, but there's a part of us that's "off". I'm kind of glad it's just the four of us against the world.

Staring up at the moonlight, I silently swear to myself that I won't turn out like my predecessors. I may be against the Chromatics, unlike them, but I'm not either going to turn into a mad-from-power evil being or leave my friends behind in death. I'm going to protect those close to me no matter what...

No matter the cost.

—————————————————————————————————————

[Green's POV, the next day]

I had left my Vengeful friends' cave early in the morning, as I had things to do today, and they wanted me to be safe away from them for now... as today is the day the plan is executed.

Dropping off some supplies to the village I'm friends with, I'm trying my hardest to act normal. If they notice something's off, I could accidentally reveal something if they confront me about it. However, it's hard to get what happened yesterday out of my head, even for a minute. Seeing the body in front of me, holding the blood-covered axe in my hands... it's something you can never forget, killing someone. I just hope I'm keeping up a good facade.