16: history repeats itself

If it was up to Takumi, he would still exorcise curses but only when he wanted to.

But for Suguru who believed that it was his responsibility to protect them, and now that his belief crumbled; to him, this was something he needed to overcome on his own.

The ravenet stood up all of a sudden, approaching Takumi, and embracing the blond without uttering a single word. That familiar scent he had grown to be fond of invaded Suguru's senses. Burying his face into the crook of his senpai's neck, he held the other in a firm hug.

"Senpai," he whispered, voice weak as if it loss all the life it previously had. "I'll try to figure things out. Can I stay with you until then?"

"Of course," Takumi hugged him back, gently patting his junior on the back. "Ya can stay as long ya need to."

.

.

Geto Suguru yawned as he descended down the stairs of the Fushiguro house. Last night had been a rollercoaster of emotions for him. Although he hadn't still figured out what he should do from now on, being with Takumi soothed his restlessness from the past few weeks.

As he reached the last step, he paused as he made eye contact with little Megumi who was sitting at the couch.

A crow cawed outside, intensifying the awkward atmosphere between teenager and child.

In the middle of scratching his stomach, Suguru brought his hand back to the side before smiling at Megumi's way. "Good morning, Megumi-kun."

"... en."

"..." Suguru wondered if he did something to offend the little guy. Ever since he arrived, Megumi acted hostile towards him.

The teen opened his mouth, wanting to ask if he did something wrong, but the scent wafting from the dining room cut him off. Megumi, who was staring at him with unblinking eyes, hopped off the couch and rushed to the dining room.

"Ah, Suguru," Takumi's head popped out behind the door. "Breakfast is ready."

Seeing that face, one that instantly washed away the darkness clouding his heart; the smile that appeared on Suguru's lips contained nothing but joy in that instant.

"Got it, senpai."

.

.

Cursed Spirits formed from the negativity in the world.

In order to completely get rid of them, there were two main ways to do it:

One, have all the humans learn how to control cursed energy so it would no longer leak out uncontrollably;

And two, get rid of all the non-sorcerers, leaving only sorcerers who know how to regulate cursed energy.

But Takumi knew either one could not be done in the long run. Humans, from the very beginning, were unpredictable creatures. If all were to learn how to utilize cursed energy, then a different kind of world war would ensue.

If the sorcerers go on a killing spree to kill all non-sorcerers, a similar result would occur.

Both options would only end to war.

"I've already seen that kind of event occur," Lucifer, who once vowed not to aid and talk to Takumi, muttered under his breath. "Half of the human population died and the war still continued."

Takumi laid on the roof of the house, staring at the night sky. He had left his bedroom earlier to get some fresh air, making sure that everyone else was asleep. The glittering sky reflected in Takumi's eyes seemed so ominous, as if someone just finished a bloodbath.