Chapter 34

"Search him".

"I can explain—" but Frederick complied. He lifted his arms letting Scarlet's men to peruse his being. His slung bag pried off from his shoulder and a scroll was taken out. His eyes lit up, "There, I'm an official guest—"

"—of Captain Blaine. You were supposed to board his ship", Scarlet read off from the scroll, the official document – the guest pass. Her brows still furrowing.

Nothing unusual for Warriors escorting Scholars and ministries' representatives. But Scarlet was not expecting any guest. Especially from a First Scholar, or the son of a General or both.

"Well, can you explain how you ended up on my ship, Scholar Frederick?"

Frederick opened his mouth, struggling to find the right words to phrase them but alas he settled, "I jumped".

The men's eyes widened.

"What a leap of faith", Zuber muttered, hand covering his amused grin, remembering the scene he and Neville witnessed. But the other Prince casted a sidelong glance, it would do everyone better to not utter such things of what they presumed of the Lady Captain's personal affair or grudge with the young First Scholar, especially not within the said two parties' vicinity.

There were running footsteps behind Scarlet but Scarlet only lifted a hand, "I presume you wanted to report about this abnormality". The ones pulling the ship's gangplanks halted. And when they realised the crowding men around the captured Scholar, around the new addition of being to the ship, immediately streams of horrified apologies cried out. But Scarlet was already not listening. Her mind was moving instead.

"We are not turning this ship around", she pulled her pocket watch, "We're already taking time dealing with him". Officer Mason was still besides her, listening to her contemplating.

"Then, should we despatch two men to escort him back through the longboat?"

But Scarlet hesitated. Finger on her chin, she was in deep thought. This was the chance to uncover the motive of Scholar Frederick. And also... "I'll make Blaine owe me", she smirked.

"Pardon me, Captain?"

"We'll take him as our guest".

"Captain, if I may clarify", Mason whispered instead, "Are we taking him as guest such as the suitors or an official guest—"

Scarlet almost snorted, "If I treat him like the suitors then I'm giving a chance for General Collins' to ensnare the Princess through his son. I'm going to take over Captain Blaine's task and let him face the consequence of abandoning his guest, though I can't blame him. It seemed Scholars like him are tardy with their own appointment it seemed".

"But Captain, I don't think the guestroom is ready". And then Mason further elaborated for her ears, "Remember? Your dresses are stored there and we're making the room as our stash of purchases for the souvenirs we would—"

Scarlet's eyes widened. She only remembered now. She and her men were too indulgent on their own in the seas. Unoccupied guestroom would often be turned as a room for their over-purchase of goods from overseas.

But she knew better than sending him back. And he seemed desperate. Before she could further respond, she saw her Officer was grinning. Suddenly her profile darkened, "Oy Mason, what are you thinking? Spill out your thoughts".

"My humble apologies, Captain Scarlet", he masked his chuckle with a cough, knowing the days they shared woes and worries over people around them – jurists, ministers and scholars, though not often, but particularly it would stray to... "Upon further reflection, I think it's a good opportunity for Captain to have Scholar Frederick here".