Chapter 26

James and Jakel were surprised to stumble upon each other in the morning outside, along the open corridor to the Warriors' Study.

"Oh, are you supposed to see Captain Scarlet, Lord Jakel?" James started first. He was slightly relieved to see a familiar face in this foreign part of the palace. He went out earlier to ensure he wasn't lost and arrive late.

But seeing Jakel made him realise that the Lady Captain wasn't just expecting him it seemed.

Jakel was alarmed.

He did not expect to stumble upon one of the suitors, especially this early on. Ah, he should've considered the possibility. He was already worried if he made contact with Captain Scarlet, since if it wasn't for General Collins, there was no reason for him to be here.

And he couldn't simply say he was going to see General Collins, especially when they were warned—

"We have ways to dispose those that are deemed as threats..."

No, being threatened seemed more accurate.

"Ah, I thought I could see Captain Lance, instead", he managed a lie, "to navigate my way around for the remaining days before the expedition matter".

James didn't response right away. And Jakel was trying to control his gulp.

"That's clever" said James, it was probably tamer to seek Lance instead of Scarlet.

"Well, I'll go ahead then", Jakel cleared his throat and went further ahead, not wanting to stand around with James.

That was too close for comfort. He hastened his steps.

But James wanted to follow suit. However, seeing Jakel had put a distance between them, he withheld from asking further.

He just wanted to know where he was heading. Seeing Jakel, he seemed well-coordinated with the layout of this area. Was it due to his forgery and weapon-smithing background? He was not terrified to be in this place.

"Oh my, why is a young talented doctor standing in the middle of this corridor?"

An older man's voice caught him by surprise. He turned behind.

Even Jakel halted as he heard the voice echoing.

General Collins.

James swallowed a gulp. "G-general Collins, sir..."

But Collins' eyes had traveled further to the other suitor. And he grinned, "Ah, Lord Jakel, I'm glad you could make it".

Huh?

James was stunned.

It was not Lance that Jakel was meeting with. And he was starting to get nervous.

"Would you like to join us, Doctor?" Collins turned back to him. He saw the shock and fear in these two suitors' eyes. And when James did not respond, mouth slightly parted in shock, Collins cleared his throat again, "I presume you have an appointment with Captain Scarlet, is it?"

Then, the mention of another fearsome warrior returned him back to the present, "Ah, yes-yes. I apologize for my lack of response".

"None taken at all", Collins waved it off, his people skills interacting with non-Warriors were terrifyingly good. And Collins gauged further. "May I know what time your appointment with the Captain is? If you have time to spare, why don't I take both you and Lord Jakel for a tour, well at least around my division".

James checked his watch and sure enough, he was still considered early. Too early. He miscalculated the timing and looked where he got himself into. He really didn't need to find out that Jakel was meeting with Collins, let alone meeting or talking to one of the fearsome Generals of the Silverstorm Kingdom.