Chapter 20

The five suitors had cleaned and changed their training attire into tunics and loose pants befitting to grace evening tea with the Princess, as per their usual routine. They were walking along the usual hallway to the dining hall, until they saw a group of men, some in armours similar to Scarlet and Lance's. And some in fine robes with a distinguished brooch bearing emblems, securing the robe in place.

The men were grinning.

Among the crowd, General Collins stepped up, "My, what fortunate event and a pleasure to find promising men that would claim the Princess's heart in the near future. I am General Collins, aide to Jury Thomas, the Jury of Religion. This is my son, Frederick, he is a Scholar". Collins went off introducing each of the men.

The men shook hands with the suitors.

All the while, the five suitors did not expect that the group of men that Fina and her companions had warned them would make an appearance in front of them so soon.

Neville and Zuber were trying to gauge Collins. For a soldier, he sure had the skill to talk things with ease and smoothness, and yet the two couldn't sense a drop of sincerity in his tone. Rhetoric.

After all, they were brought up to learn the art of speeches and even practiced them in their line of works.

Dylan, on the other hand, was just simply irritated to be halted. He didn't like the idle pleasantries attempted by these men either.

Whatever side he was on, they were all using him anyway.

James and Jackel only managed a nod of greetings. Despites not being royalty, as long as they were part of the suitors, these Council men would have something they somehow kept in mind the advice given to them.

"Young Lord Jackel", Collins called out, which surprised Jackel and the other suitors. "How is your family faring in this war-free age?"

Jackel tried to not to make his gulp apparent. "We are doing very well, thank you".

"You know, maybe the Lady Captain and Lance fellow had said something about us men", Collins slowly speak, he made an expression as though he was deep in thought, when it was obvious he had known and had his own counter attack. "But I don't see any harm if either of you fine men would like to exchange idle talks over a meal, some times with any of us. Knowledge sharing is quite celebrated and getting to know with your future council are encouraged to understand further how the Silverstorm Kingdom operates".

Knowledge sharing huh. More like fishing out secrets and weaknesses from each other, "You are too kind, General Collins, sir", Neville managed a reply.

"Well, kindness is a thing we preach too, am I not correct, Jury Thomas?"

Thomas nodded profusely.

"Oh and Lord Jackel, if you are available sometimes, would you like to have a chat with the weaponry development minster?"

That widened the eyes of the suitors. Collins noticed, and he continued, "Now, don't be alarmed. A weapon does not mean I am using solely for the purpose of violence. Despites being at peace, your own kingdom also develops and still is developing weapon, am I right? Let the young lord learn and express his own concerns of the weaponry economy since his family was the one of the prominent suppliers and forgers. Like a group of butchers discussing the best type of knives to cut meats. They're not planning a massacre. So be at ease".

But it still did not sit well with the other suitors. And the other four noticed how conflicted Jackel was.

On one hand, Jackel was terrified to be approached by these men but at the same time there was a slow elated feeling to be considered so vital that these men wanted to be on good terms with him.