𝖢𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝖲𝗂𝗑 : 𝖥𝗂𝗋𝗌𝗍 𝖣𝖺𝗒 𝖦𝗈𝗇𝖾 𝖶𝗋𝗈𝗇𝗀

Chapter Six : First Day Gone Wrong

———

[(Y/N)'s Point of View]

I was never good with maps and directions.

I nearly gotten lost if it wasn't for Hermione, who helped me out in navigating the whole school. She was rather good at it at some point but we still couldn't avoid wishing for the stairs to stop moving for us to get down for breakfast quickly.

It was indeed horrifying when the stairs suddenly moved. I felt like my soul was about to rip out of my body and trust me, it was never a good feeling.

Everything seemed to move around a lot. The people in the portraits kept going to visit each other, and I was sure the coats of armor could walk. Like... they really can move and walk.

The ghosts didn't help us, either, making me swear to Hades why he let those ghosts out here. It was always a nasty shock when one of them glided suddenly through a door one was trying to open.

The Gryffindor ghost named Nearly Headless Nick was happy to point new Gryffindors in the right direction, but Peeves the Poltergeist was worth two locked doors and a trick staircase if you met him when you were late for class. He would drop wastepaper baskets on your head, pull rugs from under your feet, pelt you with bits of chalk, or sneak up behind you, invisible, grab your nose, and screech "GOT YOUR CONK!".

I didn't exactly experience those but I had seen others being targeted by it.

We had also met a real person who was worse than Peeves. The Hogwarts caretaker: Argus Filch. He was a moody old man who, by any chance, hated the guts of students. He owned a cat called Mrs. Norris, a scrawny, dust-colored creature with bulging, lamp-like eyes just like Filch's. She patrolled the corridors alone. Break a rule in front of her, put just one toe out of line, and she'd whisk off for Filch, who'd appear, wheezing, two seconds later.

The students all hated him, and it was the dearest ambition of many to give Mrs. Norris a good kick, I heard.

When we reached the Great Hall, my eyes immediately sought for my red-headed and raven-haired friends but even as I stared at the staff's table, I still couldn't find them... or maybe they weren't there yet. Maybe they were lost too or were still sleeping. I never know unless I ask.

Our first class was Transfiguration, which was being taught by Professor McGonagall herself, the Head of Gryffindor House.

I noticed that there were two empty seats in front of us. I looked around us and soon realized that I couldn't see any sign of Harry and Ron.

Professor McGonagall seemed to have noticed it too because she kept on darting glares at the two empty seats in front of us while talking.

"Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts," she said. "Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned."

Then she changed her desk into a pig and back again.

I was beyond impressed. I couldn't wait to get started.

But Professor McGonagall didn't let us do magic today. She told us to write in our notebooks with a quill and ink before she turned herself into a cat and stood rigid on her table.

I was so nervous to even hold the quill. I was not used to this. I always write with a pen and not a quill.

"Hey, (Y/N)," Hermione whispered beside me. "Why aren't you writing?"