Chapter 1 - Prologue

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was over.

The war that he was fighting along with his friends against the man who took away his parents, his godfather, his uncle/good friend/father figure, and many of his friends, classmates' family members, and countless other people's lives was over.

Voldemort was dead.

Finally, he was free of the burden of the whole wizarding on his shoulders. Finally, maybe he would be able to relax and worry about the things teenagers do with their friends.

The battle was over, but it took a lot from him, his friends, and every single person who fought against the bastard. He had lost his parents, godfather, Remus, and Tonks. Oh, Merlin! He thought about the boy who shared the same fate as his and was orphaned by the bastard.

His train of thoughts was interrupted as he heard a scream, a blood-curdling scream, and he recognised the voice. His blood turned cold as he recognised the voice. He couldn't lose her; he had already lost so many important people in his life. NO! He just can't lose her! What will he do without her? No, he just can't.

He ran, he ran with all his might from where the scream was coming, and when he reached there, he stared in horror as his best friend, Hermione Granger, was lying there on the floor with blood running through her stomach.

And then he saw the Death Eater who did this. Anger boiled inside him like never before. He didn't lift the wand, he just wanted to hurt the person who did it so badly that a dark purple bolt of magic burst out of him and hit the death eater, blowing him to pieces, his remains scattered all over the place. He didn't stop to admire his magic or stare in horror that he had killed someone. It was all pointless because of Hermione. She was bleeding. She was lying on the floor. She was his priority. "NO! NO! NO! Please, Hermione!" He cried as he knelt beside her and cupped her face.

"Harry?" came her breathless voice.

"Lie on your back, Hermione! I will call Madame Pomfrey! She will treat you! You can't die!" He was hysterical now.

"Can't... too deep... Wound... Too late... dying. " Her broken replies broke his heart. He saw a deep wound in her stomach, too much blood was coming out and he couldn't do anything because he had never learnt to heal. Some small things maybe, but he didn't know how to heal properly.

"Hermione! NO! Don't leave me! I can't live without you! I will go with you! " He shouted while tears rapidly fell down his face.

"Live for me..." were the last words she said before her eyes closed for the last time and her body turned cold.

"No! Hermione!"

Overcome with grief, he screamed for help, his anguished cries ringing across the grounds. When nobody came, he put her face against his chest, cradling her in his arms as he wept for his best friend, for Hermione, the only person he trusted completely, who always had his back, but now she was gone and he was vulnerable, he was insecure. He lost the light of his life, the one person who was always there for him.

She was always there for him.

During the Triwizard Tournament, whenever everyone abandoned him, she was there.

During the Horcrux hunt, she was there, and even when Ron left, she was there.

She always was.

But now she's gone.

His victory against Voldemort was meaningless.

-------------------------------------------------------